Controller has the same colour plug wires ?

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
If it's a sensorless one with LCD, I can make a good guess.

The two 3-ways that are the same are the brakes. Use yellow and blue for two-wire brakes.
The other three-way is the PAS.
The 4-way is the throttle. I need the above questions answered to say what the 4th wire does.
The 2-way is for lights.

Don't connect anything yet. When you answer the above questions, I can tell you how to connect.
It shows on the label throttle voltage , so that could be the throttle , thank you for the Advice on colour code for the brakes. I have posted photos as requested .

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm pretty sure that the red and brown are for battery level lights. There appears to be red and black power wires going in, a yellow signal wire from the cpu and the red and brown coming out from that daughter board, so I think that there's just a mosfet in there to switch it. The LCD sends data to the CPU, so when you switch on the LCD backlight, the controller switches on that light connector.

Do the meter tests that I suggested above, which should give everything we need to connect it up.

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
OK, it's sensorless. Forget about opening it just now. Instead, you need a meter. Connect the battery and the LCD - nothing else.

Switch on the lcd, then check between any black and each red in turn to see which are 5v and which have battery voltage on. Check the grey, blue and brown as well.

Next, set your meter to continuity (beep), then check between any black and each wire that isn't red to see which are connected to the common ground. You can do this test without anything connected or switched on.

There's no need to test anything on the LCD connector.

If we're lucky, those two tests will give us all the answers to get the bike going.
After testing.
Getting 4.8v on all reds of the 3way plugs.
Getting 40.3 on the 4way red.
Continuity .
On Yellow only on the 3ways.
On Black on the 4way.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's thrown a spanner in the works. It could still be the throttle, but only if the blue had 5v on it. One other possibility is that the three-way that I thought was the PAS is the throttle, and the 4-way is for a special PAS sensor, like a torque sensor, but the only ones I've seen were 12v.

One more thing: can you check if there's continuity between the blue on the 4-way and the blue on the 5-way? Then, between the blues on the 4-way and the three-way that isn't a brake. The two three-ways the same are definitely the brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4366

Whether the three-way is a PAS or a throttle, the red is 5v, the yellow is ground and the blue is signal. If you look at the PCB, two blues join to the same pad (VL), the other two blues go to BK1 and BK2, which are the two brake signals.

It could be that the blue to the 4-way is sending on the throttle or PAS signal to whatever goes on the 4-way connector, but I can't think what that could be unless it's some sort of intelligent throttle that's only allowed when pedalling. What we know is that it has red battery voltage, blue signal wire common with PAS/throttle, black ground and a mysterious grey wire that goes to pad HV. Pad HV is used for the speed limit on the Cyclamatic version of that controller, but that just means it's an input to the CPU that could be programmed for anything.

The only thing I can suggest is to test it. Connect the battery, LCD and motor, then try a throttle on the three-way. See if it works. To be honest, I think the three-way is for a PAS, so if the throttle doesn't work try a PAS. You don't need to install the PAS. Just twizzle it around in your hand. Try both directions and the magnet disc both ways up. Don't forget that you need to set the LCD to at least level 1.

If it only works with the PAS on the the three-way, then the grey wire is probably a throttle signal, so try connecting a throttle with signal to grey, ground to black and get the 5v from one of the brake reds. see if that works.

six9giant

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2016
Maryport, Cumbria
cheers Dave, I'll take that route tomorrow.
I wondered that the four way plug could be for something connected to the rear wheel, after debating the length of the plug and its shrouded in plastic sleeving.
Thinking if the controller is fitted on the down tube or within the battery connector on a pannier.

Advertisers