Controller/LCD recommendation

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I wanted to spice up my 5 year old Oxygen E mate so i bought a new 350w hub motor. I bought a Bafang SWX02 (although the motor when it arrived is stamped FM CO20 350D 12 )
I switched the wheels over and the bike works fine but no speed readings, its probably a lcd/controller compatibility issue. So if this is the case i will replace them. I like the KT LCD 3 as it shows the watts in use so perhaps a suitable KT controller mated to that would suit.
So what i would like is a suggestion for a compatible set that would increase the torque/speed of the motor to make hill climbing a bit easier.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Whether the new SWX02 proves any better depends on the winding speed, torque and speed don't always go hand in hand so you have to compromise a bit and just like a battery you can't have current and capacity all at the same time.
KT stuff is common, look on AliExpress, PSWPower, BMSBattery, Topbikekit etc,etc.
For throttle and PAS compatibility buy them as well as they only add a few more $$$'s and saves issues with connector compatibility or wire sequences.

Your current controller/lcd will be matched so speed readout not working might be because the controller has no hall readout for one for the motor.
Does the bike use a spoke magnet ?

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Thanks Neal, I have seen these sites you list and their suggestions for twinning controllers and lcds together, thought perhaps one set was more suited to my motor. Think I have read somewhere that my original motor a Dapu was capable of producing more power with a higher amperage controller so I was hoping to get one that would exploit the Dapu & Bafang motors together.
No i don't have a spoke magnet.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Two wheel drive is in the naughty zone, then you need a bigger better battery.

If you want more power buy a 22a/9 fet controller and lcd, if the battery can handle the max continuous current for short bursts.

Last edited:

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Sorry Neal, I didn,t mean at once, but it reads like that, lol.
No I will retire my original Oxygen wheel after 5 years and 10k and keep it as a spare, I want to run the SWX02 as my main wheel and get a bit more performance out of it that my original Oxygen controller can supply

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Code 12 is 260 rpm, which is around 19mph cruising speed depending on battery state. If you want something like 22 -23 mph, you'd be better going up to 48v. maybe get a 36v/48v KT controller and LCD, then when your battery needs replacing, upgrade it to 48v.

At 36V, 22A is comfortable for the SWX02. It can probably manage that at 48v as long as you don't use maximum power for too long on steep hills. The KT has the advantage of limiting the current at different levels with the PAS, so you can select the power you need for the conditions you find yourself in. 18 amps at 48v is as much as what most people would need for normal cycling.

Last edited:

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Thanks for the info vfr400, don't know if mine is code 10, thought the last figure (12) was the code ??
I don't particularly want speed rather have torque for hills but maybe they go together ??
One thing I am not quite sure of most of the KT controllers say rated current & maximum current which is usually twice as much. Can i take it the max figure is the one I need to pay attention to ??

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for the info vfr400, don't know if mine is code 10, thought the last figure (12) was the code ??
I don't particularly want speed rather have torque for hills but maybe they go together ??
One thing I am not quite sure of most of the KT controllers say rated current & maximum current which is usually twice as much. Can i take it the max figure is the one I need to pay attention to ??
I meant code 12

With a KT controller, you only get the max current on level 5. Even on that, you only get it up to about 15 mph after which it ramps down, so you don't spend much time at maximum current during normal riding. Obviously, when riding up a steep hill on level 5, you get maximum current. How much your motor heats up depends on speed more than anything. Sometimes riding up the same hill with higher current makes your motor run cooler because you go faster and get a higher efficiency.

The only time I've ever had a controller over-heat was when I had a small high-speed motor installed that was drawing the maximum current nearly all the time. I think you'll be OK with a code 12 SWX02.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevenatleven

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
Great info on the KT controller, I've ordered one plus a LCD. That's good intel on level 5.
Thanks for all the input.