Controller replacement help!

Ebike_clown

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2019
I did something stupid today and let my controller get far too hot. I'm pretty sure I've fried something as it won't turn on even now it has cooled down.

So I'm thinking I should replace the controller? Is there anything else I could have broken? None of the connecting wires appear melted. I've spent the afternoon researching but I'm not the best with electrics.

The controller itself is 60v and all the shops near me refuse to work with such powerful systems so I reckon I will have to replace it myself. I'm struggling to find a controller with the same specs (60v, 17a) - how much do the amps matter? Could I scale up, e.g. to 20 or 30a?

How much of a challenge is replacing a controller? I've read the wiring can be tricky and some need to be programmed? How do you program it?

Thanks for your help in advance, I feel like such an idiot right now for breaking my bike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It would be easier for us advise you if you tell us about the rest of your electrical system.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Controllers get hot due to the fact the case acts as a heat sink for the Mosfets so sounds like you have likely killed one or two.

Advertisers