Conversion kit for... car?

Iguess

Just Joined
Mar 2, 2016
Hi guys.
I am very happy to discover the new improved electric bikes.
I do offroading and camping with my car and will buy one just to investigate the area where we camp.

But I am here for another question.
I want a similar system - but for my car.
The issue is that my off road car is slow on accelerating on motorway when I want to overtake another vehicle.
So I am thinking to buy or build an electric kit to help me accelerate.
It will also be useful for fuel consumption and good for the main engine.
The idea is to recharge the bateries while driving without accelerating and then use the electric motors to help me accelerate - so using the fuel more efficiently - accelerating a petrol engine - consumes much more fuel.

The requirements would be:
I am thinking there should more electric motors - so they are long but with a small diameter - the whole thing will go beneath the car.
I am thinking one motor for 10kw and have maybe 3 of them.
The batter should not be very large - the idea is not to store electricity for increasing range but for using the motors for acceleration.
The motors will all spin a chain and a wheel which I will weld on the drive shaft.
It will also need gears to match the cars speeds - so 6 electric speeds for a 6 speed car.
The system should have some electronics - sensors to detect cars gears, disconect when braking and display battery stats and a sensor for acceleration pedal.

All this - I dont think is complicated - not more complicated than a bike system.
What do you guys thing? is this complicated to build?
Any idea where can I ask for such a system?
Do you think this will sell? because if there is a market then they will build it.
I am hoping to see this in a few years because I like my car - i dont want to change it

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You need to subscribe to the Endless Sphere forum for cars.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, definitely Endless Sphere's Large EV section is the place to go. Here's the link.

Also makershed.com in the USA have had some EV car projects in the past, though these days they mostly seem to concentrate on smaller stuff.

Iguess

Just Joined
Mar 2, 2016
Thanks guys.
I thought this will be like an evolution from bike to car where bike manufacturers might try same thing for cars.
But will also ask there too.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks guys.
I thought this will be like an evolution from bike to car where bike manufacturers might try same thing for cars.
But will also ask there too.
I think primarily a car subject, particularly since what you propose has much in common with the KERS system in use on Formula 1 race cars. Although the current is generated differently in those, it's subsequent use in conjunction with the ic engine is to increase acceleration, exactly what you want.