Conversion kits BL-36 and BD-36

AndrewFleming

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2007
OK following my disappointment with regard to the suitability of the Strong GT I've started to look into conversion kits. I suspect this makes more sense for the distances I'm talking of as a converted bike is probably going to be a bit easier to ride when the battery is low than one designed as an ebike.

I've located one Canadian supplier so far selling BL-36 or BD-36 kits
http://www.itselectric.ca/Products.html

Its 36v and comes with either Lead (545) or NiMh (595) and either brush or brushless motors. I'm interested in the probable accuracy of two claims in their FAQ

How fast will my bike go with the Electric Bike Kit installed?
On a 26" wheel, your bike, with the help of Electric Bike Kit, will reach a top assisted speed of 32 km/h. On a 24" wheel - 30 km/h, 20" wheel = 25 km/h, and 16" wheel = 22 km/h.

How far can my Electric Bike go?
We like to use the formula: 32/32, which means your electric bike will go 32 km/h for 32 kilometers, but that is under the following conditions: 26" wheel with thin, slick street tires, 150 lb. rider, flat riding terrain, and no stops or starts. In the real world, you will probably get 24 kilometers per battery pack charge with the standard battery pack, and about 16 kilometers more (40 kilometers +) with the extended range battery pack.

Both of these look like they might be quite honest estimates because they list the conditions involved in their calculation. The odd thing is that unless I've read their installation instructions wrong the power is used to drive the front wheel. Does that make sense?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes Andrew, they are typical front wheel motors, and those form the majority in the mature electric bike markets, both for kits and complete bikes.

I agree that their claims do seem entirely reasonable, and as you say, keeping the weight down with a light slim tyred bike will help if the battery runs out. It looks as though you'll need either the extra range battery if they do these in NiMh or two standard ones to cover your run though.

I'm speaking of the BL36 400 watt brushless motor though, and the NiMh batteries of course.

That's likely to give the best range, the least loss of performance in low temperatures, and will be much lighter than Lead-acid if you have to pedal.

They don't seem to list the NiMh so you'll need to inquire about capacities.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
P.S.

In your country where snow and ice are much more frequent than here, the front wheel motor is a good thing, since you then have two wheel traction.