Convert a Dawes tandem.

hexhammike

Just Joined
Dec 31, 2014
Anyone got any recommendations of kits or companies that will do a tandem conversion. Mainly need this for help on climbs

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've seen a couple of converted tandems, so it can be done.

You will need a motor with a bit of poke and biggish battery to match.

In turn, this means you will need to keep an eye on all up weight.

Much will depend on the weight of the rider and stoker, and how much luggage you want to carry.

The extra dead weight will make your tandem descend even faster than it does now, so you will also need to consider if the brakes will be up to that.

Apologies if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs, but braking such a rig can put a lot of strain on the forks/headset.

This can usually be dealt with by using the back brake much more than you would on a solo bike.

As regards getting the job done, Cyclezee has suitable motors and batteries, is known to like a challenge, and he enjoys a good reputation on here for customer service.

http://www.cyclezee.com/

Reactions: Cyclezee
D

Deleted member 4366

The Bafang BPM kit from Woosh should also be pretty good. If you have nice cassette gears that you want to keep, you can get a Bafang CST motor kit. BMSBattery do a frame-mounted battery that includes a 20A sine-wave controller, LCD, etc, which would make a simple and neat installation with a Bafang BPM or CST. If you go for a rear freewheel motor, you'll need a DNP gear cluster with 11T top gear to go with it.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Hexhammike,

As Rob has already said, we can and have converted several tandems.

We have choice of eZee, Heinzmann or Ansmann kits, front or rear wheel in any wheel size.

If you let me know the make, model and type of gears I can a recommendation of what would be the most suitable and we can take it from there.