Convert a old lady pashley for hills

Spinnanz

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2019
Neat job. Are those the original tyres?
The Pashley is not so easy to convert because of the dynamo on the front wheel and the enclosed gears at the back.
The bike originally had internal gears like the Pashley. I converted using a modern wheel set with hub motor, so its now a single speed. I still have my Dynamo but am now powering the original lights from the ebike battery.

You have 3 options for conversion....

Rear hub drive, like mine, which you will end up with a single speed. Max speed will be around 25kph. This is prob the most hidden conversion, especially if you use your original rims (which I didn't).

Mid drive, which powers your crank. This is prob the most complicated way, and maybe problematic in finding one that will fit. It does also put extra load on the chain and rear end. This would also allow you to keep the rear gears. Ive put a pic of a conversion below of this on an old bike.

Front drive, prob the easiest conversion, and would also allow you to keep your rear gears. This is prob the least hidden conversion.

Attachments

E-Pashley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 23, 2020
Great to see this Pashley conversion.
I'm about to convert a Pashley Roadster with a Tongsheng mid drive - the torque sensing on this unit should relieve the strain on the hug gears (fingers crossed). Also the Tongsheng comes with a 42T chain ring matching the original, I'm hoping a little fettling will get the chain guard back on.

Love the look of your conversion - I'm inspired now

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
There is a shop in New Zealand who convert new Pashley bikes with the BBS01, on the Roadster and Princess models they replace the enclosed chain guard with the hockey stick style half-chainguard as used on the Pashley Britannia, Poppy, Briton, Parabike, and Tube Rider. For my Breezer bike that has a Nexus 8 IGH and BBS01 I replaced my chainguard with a Hebie chainglider.