Convert Bafang 44T to Gates drive

TimD78

Just Joined
Apr 29, 2018
London
Hi guys,

How much of an issue will it be converting one of these 750W Bafang mid drives to work with a gates drive ring when converting a gates drive bike rather than the 44T ring it comes with?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the gates ring uses a std BCD then you would need to buy an adapter BBS spider to bolt the gates to, the issue then is belt line and whether it will stay on. With the BBS you can't move the line inboard anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi guys,

How much of an issue will it be converting one of these 750W Bafang mid drives to work with a gates drive ring when converting a gates drive bike rather than the 44T ring it comes with?
Basically, it can't be done unless the donor bike already has a belt drive. There's no way to get the belt on the rear sprocket on a conventional chain driven bike because the chain-stay is in the way. Frames for belt drives have a removable piece so that you can get the belts on.

If you can find a frame that doesn't have chainstays, it would be feasible to fit a belt drive. Some frames have a beam type seat-stay and no chain-stay, like this one:

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Tried to convert a cube hyde which had a gates belt ,the bafang mid drive will not fit in the bb the lugs under the frame get in the way also the bb is eccentric to tension the belt
ps the gates bits cost a fortune

TimD78

Just Joined
Apr 29, 2018
London
Interesting @peter.c the Hyde was what i was looking at. Obviously that's a no go. Did you find a good solution for a good gates drive ebike which is not one of these premium 4k bikes?

Im figuring i only need 3 gears really.
Gates,
Disk brakes, pref hydraulic

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Interesting @peter.c the Hyde was what i was looking at. Obviously that's a no go. Did you find a good solution for a good gates drive ebike which is not one of these premium 4k bikes?

Im figuring i only need 3 gears really.
Gates,
Disk brakes, pref hydraulic
The Gtech has belt drive and no gears.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes and no if you want an alfine or nexus or alike ,a chain is the cheaper option converted a charge cooker single speed frame and a custom build alfine the bbs01 fitted and cleared the lumps on the bb.
but if you need a gates drive be prepared to spend cash or a used gtech and a new back wheel then the mid drive but not worth the cost or the problems the belt has to align and tension perfectly
just seen your post you could upgrade your g tech with a nexus wheel

Jasebabe

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2023
Yes and no if you want an alfine or nexus or alike ,a chain is the cheaper option converted a charge cooker single speed frame and a custom build alfine the bbs01 fitted and cleared the lumps on the bb.
but if you need a gates drive be prepared to spend cash or a used gtech and a new back wheel then the mid drive but not worth the cost or the problems the belt has to align and tension perfectly
just seen your post you could upgrade your g tech with a nexus wheel
I'm wondering whether I could do the same, get a Gtech Sport for the frame and belt drive, swap out the rear wheel for a Nexus/Alfine and install a mid drive.

Reactions: Woosh

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Veer do a belt drive that joins together, on their website they show a biker with horizontal dropouts. I imagine with some bodging you could get it to work on a bike with vertical dropouts, maybe use a chain tensioner arrangement. One idea might be to add washers each side of the chain tensioner wheel to keep it in place, the belt might slip on the tensioner wheel causing drag and slippage. Somebody with a 3d printer could probably print a replacement wheel using their belt pattern.