converted old bike,but it wont pedal correctly

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
Hi,

I converted an old bike with a conversion kit recently,the throttle is fine,but somethings gone wrong with the pedal system, when i test it in the house and push the pedals by hand it seems ok and the pedal assist kicks in also, but when I get outside and try and ride it theres something wrong ,the pedals seem heavy, pushing them down is possible but I have to pull my leg up hard to get a full revolution, its impossible to ride it that way.i`m guessing it happened after i installed the pedal assist sensor and had to take c bolt off.

The chain i`m using is also 8 yrs old, whereas the cassette is brand new, maybe its that?

hope someone can advise, the gear system seems ok ie the chains going through it properly.

regards,
Stuart

Last edited:

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Maybe something wrong with the bottom bracket (the axle that the cranks go onto) might be turning ok with no load on it but binding when it's under load, take the chain off and check if the cranks ate spinning freely and smoothly with no free play

D

Deleted member 4366

Turn your bike upside down and then take a photo of the bottom bracket so that we can see what you have. Your photo should be from the angle something like this:

Stu33

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2014
hi, thanks for your replies, I took the c bolt apart again , and greased everything I could see, one of the inner parts also seemed loose (dont know what its called maybe the axle) so I tightened and greased that too,its working now !