Converting a Carrera Crossfire3

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
This is the, "Gathering the bits" phase before transferring my Ezee kit to the new bike.
The first question is about torque brackets. Current bike has the Ezee bracket on it (see photo), but I can't see how to make that work with the new forks. Anyone got any suggestion?
I wondered if it might be possible to utilize the caliper mounting when I put the 180mm adapter on it?

Think I'll go for these mudguard as the bike is white and grey.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplastic-road-mudguard-set/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360081544&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360081544uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign&utm_medium=base&utm_content=snR312i0d_dc|pcrid|67090789262|pkw||pmt||prd|5360081544uk

And so it starts.....exciting in a sad sort of 60 year old way:D

DSCF2926.JPG DSCF2926.JPG DSCF2925.JPG DSCF2925.JPG

Reactions: LeighPing

eBike Sales

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2015
Northolt
Would it be possible to use your current torque bracket but turn it around ( kind of mirror what you have already) so that the clamping point for the fork is at the front of your new fork?
If this can be done, you could always drill and tap a fixing point onto the front part of the fork

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you have to be careful, the torque is directional. The wheel can actually come out because of wrongly fitted torque arm, don't flip your torque arm around. Just get new ones for your new fork.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My forks aren't to dissimilar to yours Benjamin and I decided not to reuse my 2 piece arm, so instead made my own one piece arms and tapped them on the fork on each side. How ever you do need to make sure they are a nice tight fit on the axle.

DSCF0029.JPG DSCF0032.JPG DSCF0053.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing and trex
D

Deleted member 4366

I would make a piece like this out of 2mm steel sheet. Bend the two tabs over to trap them between the caliper mount posts and the adapter. It'll be in tension, which means it doesn't have to be thick. Fix the torque arm to the hole at the bottom.

TORQUE ARM.jpg

• Useful

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks guys. Must admit I'm not too keen on drilling the forks, if I cock it up ......:oops:.
I like the bracket idea, I shall go and see my mechanic, he has welding stock plate. May need to make the bottom leg a bit longer to get below the tube of the fork.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
So, mudguards and caliper adaptor have been fitted. Just waiting for the torque bracket adapter to be made. However, having been out for a few short fettling rides, I realize that I could do with the bars being a tad higher, but theres seems to be no way of raising the column. Is there an extension or something, or will I need some different bars?
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Ben

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just the ticket, ordered.
Thanks
Keep an eye on cable length when you fit it.

One of the right hand cables in the pic doesn't appear to have much slack.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I realize ,as well, that I would like to keep the Tektro levers, just so they're a matched pair. The rear brake cable has outer cable all the way to the caliper. Is there a way of mounting a cutout switch, either on the lever or the cable, that will match the Ezee plug?
Thanks

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm retired. Time no longer has a meaning, except that it passes by ever quicker.

• :D

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Ah well, now you see that made me come over all essential and I just had to listen this a few times:

Any way heaving a poignant sigh, I shall move on and assume that the ebike sales one will do the job.
Cheers
Ben

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
So the switch from e-bike sales arrived today, and I just tried it.
When I plug it in the motor pulses, then drives at about 2m.p.h. and all the power goes off the LED display. When the magnet is held against the switch the motor stops altogether then goes 2mph again when the magnet is moved away. When I unplug the switch the display re-boots. To be fair it's sold for BBSO1/2 kits, so I guess the wiring's different.
Think there's a way round it?
Just got my magnifying glass and meter out. Turns out that the BBSO1 switch is a normally closed, that's to say that the switch connects when the brake lever is pulled. For the Ezee kit I need the opposite. Also the BBSO1 switch uses one different pin.
So back to plan A.
BBSO1/2 switch anyone?

Last edited:

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Parts gathering taking much longer than hoped, but nearly complete.
Front caliper bracket to accomodate 180mm disc has been fitted. Longer front brake cable fitted, waiting for stem riser. Fitted SKS mudguards. Nice Pletchner side stand fitted to chain stay. Just waiting for torque bracket extender to be made and I can start transferring the kit..

Picked up one of these in Halfords a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.halfords.com/gifts/gifts-for-him/gifts-for-him/bike-hut-repair-stand
For £40 seemed well made and I couldn't beat the price elsewhere, which was a bit surprising.. Have used it on the Carrera but also on my existing electric(minus battery), so it can take the weight. Tripod splays out nice and wide and it's very stable. Must admit the parts tray is bit of a waste of space as the bike's always between you and it. Otherwise seems good.
It's enabled me to fettle the brakes and the gears on the carrera easily, so all running smooth.