converting a windcheetah

stereorific

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2015
I am told by avd that the windcheetah is not easy to convert. but i take that to mean it's not impossible. so has anyone done this or have ideas for doing it? I like the idea of a hub motor (less cluttered). and I'm not after speed, though that would be nice, but assistance on inclines and long distances. and I intend to ride in france and italy next spring so i would need to meet their regulations. thanx

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm not familiar with these bikes, but looking at the picture on the website it appears to be a single sided axle design, and thats going to be a problem. Most hub motors have a 12/10mm axle. This means that it's a 12mm axle, flattened to 10 to fit standard dropouts.

My guess is that single sided axles are bigger than 12mm.

Crank drive?

D

Deleted member 4366

You should be able to fit a crank motor. A Bafang BBS01/2 will work if you have a standard BB, otherwise you're into the realms of DIY. If it were my bike, I'd add a jackshaft with a motor driving a free-wheeling sprocket on one side via a chain, and two sprockets on the othe other side - one to the crank and the other to the derailleur. You could use a Cyclone motor or any hub-motor. Mount the jackshaft where you have the sprocket that changes the chain direction. That arrangement will give you precise control over the gearing for the motor and your crank.

stereorific

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2015
You should be able to fit a crank motor. A Bafang BBS01/2 will work if you have a standard BB, otherwise you're into the realms of DIY. If it were my bike, I'd add a jackshaft with a motor driving a free-wheeling sprocket on one side via a chain, and two sprockets on the othe other side - one to the crank and the other to the derailleur. You could use a Cyclone motor or any hub-motor. Mount the jackshaft where you have the sprocket that changes the chain direction. That arrangement will give you precise control over the gearing for the motor and your crank.
thanks for your reply. now all i need to do is get it translated into my language, idioteque. but wait! what is this i see, you live in telford and i'm in shrewsbury. could we meet and you can explain it to me in person? if so this will have to wait a couple of weeks as i'm waiting on the windcheetah manufacturers to send me some bits to get it back on the road after a small accident.