Converting an Intuvia to Purion

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
why would I use a phone when I have a GPS? :) it helps understanding how the assist works, you get a feel for how hard the motor push, really interesting to see, on my fatbike not much assist is needed going straight on asphalt, but when I bike just beside the road the assist level doubles. That is nice information to have I think, especially if you're going on long rides. But not necessary by any means of course :)

Actually, if you're having a Garmin beside the Garmin display is not necessary at all. You have the power meter on the battery pack. You have +/- buttons. The display could be removed completely. It would be cool if there was such a version and the Bosch system sending the data through ANT+ to your Garmin instead :)
Quite by accident I found out how much better a phone running the strava app is when comparing it to my garmin. For one thing the live segments display is much better, especially when you stumble upon a popular one and it counts you down and then shows a graphic of your progress against the kom holder in a clear, big and colourfull manor.
Strava routes also display well, and of course text and call alerts (now available on high end garmins) are readily available.
I used a frame bag with an old phone in an insert protected by a plastic sleeve and given the choice would choose a phone.
With regard to the power graphic, I see it and understand what it's telling me but to influence it I need to peddle harder or not, but to what end? I know when I am using power because I can hear it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0445.JPG

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hey SW,
As you know, my S4 was nicked with the bike, and seeing as you are the expert on finding things google.. Where would I buy a decent android phone to use on the bike cheap? (not from China or Hong Kong)

Virtualmeuk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 10, 2016
Warwickshire
Done a few miles with it now and i like it, It is far less intrusive and i like the simplicity of it. I was a bit worried about loosing the power meter but i dont really notice its not there anymore. As its not in front of you you just start enjoying the ride instead of always looking at the display.

Over all im glad i did it.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
With regard to the power graphic, I see it and understand what it's telling me but to influence it I need to peddle harder or not, but to what end? I know when I am using power because I can hear it.
Not something that I agree with, and I find knowing what power level I am using at any given moment to be quite invaluable, especially when balancing battery conservation, against power on climbs. A point that is invaluable for when riding in the alps.

You must be bloody clever if you can hear if you are in eco, tour, sport or turbo.

I had intended to fit Purion and still might, but with no power level display mode, a brighter screen which is a distraction for night riding, and the fact that the display is not removable, has got me thinking twice about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deere John

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Not something that I agree with, and I find knowing what power level I am using at any given moment to be quite invaluable, especially when balancing battery conservation, against power on climbs. A point that is invaluable for when riding in the alps.

You must be bloody clever if you can hear if you are in eco, tour, sport or turbo.

I had intended to fit Purion and still might, but with no power level display mode, a brighter screen which is a distraction for night riding, and the fact that the display is not removable, has got me thinking twice about it.
sorry, I thought you meant the power output graphic... Not the eco, tour.. mode display..

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Perhaps I'm wrong and he did. :oops:

I'd agree with you in that case, and add that the gear change/select icon is just as pointless.

I'm really not that keen on not being able to remove the display though.
I always remove mine when ever I stop anywhere if the bike is to be left unattended, and it is also useful to be able to remove it if you get a puncture and want to turn the bike upside down.
I think that Bosch have possibly mad a mistake with that design aspect.

Reactions: Gubbins

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Resurfacing an old thread but this came up when I googled it.... I'd like to get rid of the Intuvia display as I feel it's way too big and yesterday while attempting a slope with wet tree roots and pine needles the back wheel spun out (need to go tubeless with lower pressure and something bigger than 2.35" ??) and i ended up slipping forward and collided with this on my chest...(poor technique played it's part coupled with over ambitious ideas)...I'd rather have something on the end of the bar much smaller because I could then add my exposure Enduro light for some decent night biking or even fit a bottle holder or two or a bar roll bag for bikepacking.
It has decent information including how much assist you're demanding but it's just placed where every other bit of bar accessory stuff should go!

From Germany:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/bosch-display-purion-anthrazit-568932

Much cheaper than "e-bikeshop.co.uk" and looks like the complete kit complete with " integrated Display holder and Cable (150 cm) "??

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the cable will be more than long enough and is just a straight swap ;)

Advertisers