Converting from two to three wheels

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
Please can anyone tell me if its possible and very costly to convert an already electric two wheeler to a three and also if there's a means of carrying one on a car, many thanks

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I thought it might be cheaper than buying a new bike, my two wheeler was new this year, I've taken a couple of tumbles when tired and its putting me off, I have an electric bike as my knees are bad and can't walk as far as I'd like but can cycle 20+ miles. My bike is just a standard 6 speed low step through with a good sturdy frame and the throttle was put on for me by dave at telford I'm not very good at linking to photos.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your bike will need to have a front wheel or centre crank motor of course. There are a number of conversions to turn bikes into trikes as this Google Link shows. Most through ebay though.

BikeCare are a well established UK supplier who are also cycle dealers and repairers and you'll see their kits on this link. Theirs has the advantage of wheel size options so you can match the wheel size you have at present. They don't appear to have a fitting service, so if you want it done for you it would be necessary to arrange something with a local shop.

Trikes are not easy to ride if you've only ever been used to riding a two wheeled bike. It can be very difficult to overcome one's normal bike handling instincts and you'll probably only make very slow progress for a while until you get accustomed to the strange handling characteristics. Cornering will always be quite slow due to the narrow width making it easy for the trike to topple.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
Ok thanks as I have a rear wheel motor that would seem to be out of the question but it was worth asking

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
many thanks for that link that certainly looks possible and I've emailed them so fingers crossed

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
This may not suit your requirements, as it is a leaning trike which means it can corner faster than a conventional trike but according to a review requires you to track stand or put a foot down at stops.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the Noomad might not be any gain in the tricycle sense, since it's exactly like riding a normal bike with banking into turns.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I found a couple of reviews and it sounds promising, I don't have trouble riding an ordinary bike but when I get tired and have to get off quick that's when my legs don't always 'work' and I've fell with the bike on top of me and its to heavy for me to lift without help. I'm also nervous on steep gravely tracks for the same reason, having to stop and get of fast, I like the idea of something that doesn't look like a traditional trike but might give me a bit more stability when stopping ie I might not have to get off until I'm ready. I'm not sure about whether you can remove the wheels/frame to fit on a car as we'd have to look into transporting the bike along with hubbies but I read somewhere about quick release from the forks so maybe that won't be so hard, anyway I'm waiting to hear from them.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I'm also wondering whether you need that carrying plate thing as I don't want to carry anything

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
thanks for that, it sounds like I'd still have to 'scoot' to get on and off the same as I do now which wouldn't improve anything, I hoped it would stay upright when you stopped.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Um this bike was designed to help people just like the OP I don't quite get all the resistance, not designed and made in the UK? Still have a Spanish Armada effect over there?

The bike stands up on its own. It only tilts so far I bet an experienced cyclist (20+ mile trips says the OP) could even stop without putting their foot down. I can do it on two wheels and I'm over 60...

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
do you think the system for the nomad would allow you to stop then dismount? and get on then take off? once going I'm fine and the idea that we wouldn't have to spend out on another carrier, if the wheels quick release, or a full trike which I don't really want at least not yet sounds great.

annsimpson

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2014
I watched a couple of the videos and none seem to show the rider getting on or off and I'm not a racer or m/biker so I'm sure could learn to steer ok I'm just a normal 59 female who likes to ride a bike for pleasure..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I will have to go and try one...