cool sustrans video made by a dad

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Not on the pc so can't link everything well but will edit later.

A short video explaining some cycling dos and donts with kids(might help adults too). Considering I can count his age on my hands his cycling is better than lots.

road.cc/content/news/99474-dad-produces-instructional-video-showing-how-he-helps-7-year-old-son-cycle-school

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
A most inspiring story. Unfortunately, the parents may fall foul of the social services if the child is not accompanied by an adult on his ride to school. Some while back, parents in a similar situation were threatened with failing in their duty of care by the School's head teacher.

Boris supports parents.

Good at riding as he is, that lad is not ready for solo riding just yet. ;)

[video=youtube;W0h5mDBRlTU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0h5mDBRlTU[/video]

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps

[video=youtube;W0h5mDBRlTU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0h5mDBRlTU[/video]

Great to se a sprog so confident on his bike, but Blew it is right; he's nowhere near solo riding standard:

The only time he looked behind was when he was prompted - I realise his dad was behind him, but that quick glance is nowhere near enough. he was concentrating really well, but his spatial awareness hasn't developed yet.

I was talking to a neighbour's youngster about her cycling proficiency lessons a while back & she didn't know about the lifesaver ( the quick look behind at the very last moment; after looking behind, signalling & positioning).

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
A most inspiring story. Unfortunately, the parents may fall foul of the social services if the child is not accompanied by an adult on his ride to school. Some while back, parents in a similar situation were threatened with failing in their duty of care by the School's head teacher.

Boris supports parents.

Typical politician though: couldn't resist trumpetting all the policies he's introduced, rather than just making a statement of support for the parents involved.
I do applaud them for allowing their children to got to and from school on their own, as I used to, and allowed my children to do, but (and there is always a but, isn't there?) conditions on most roads are very different to those when I, and my offspring, were children. Not only is there far more traffic, but social attitudes have changed, personified by the selfish attitudes of nearly all motorists. I know any reasonable human being would be horrified to take the life of a child, and if that consequence was obvious and apparent, every driver would drive accordingly. Unfortunately the enclosed, homogenised nature of being in a car appears to reduce that likelihood, and as a result people do not drive as though they were in control of a lethal weapon. Instead many drive as though it's a right, and if anything does happen, then it will of course be the other persons fault.:(

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
Well said, and in your previous life you have seen more than most of us the consequences of lethal weapons.
Typical politician though: couldn't resist trumpetting all the policies he's introduced, rather than just making a statement of support for the parents involved.
I do applaud them for allowing their children to got to and from school on their own, as I used to, and allowed my children to do, but (and there is always a but, isn't there?) conditions on most roads are very different to those when I, and my offspring, were children. Not only is there far more traffic, but social attitudes have changed, personified by the selfish attitudes of nearly all motorists. I know any reasonable human being would be horrified to take the life of a child, and if that consequence was obvious and apparent, every driver would drive accordingly. Unfortunately the enclosed, homogenised nature of being in a car appears to reduce that likelihood, and as a result people do not drive as though they were in control of a lethal weapon. Instead many drive as though it's a right, and if anything does happen, then it will of course be the other persons fault.:(

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Instead many drive as though it's a right, and if anything does happen, then it will of course be the other persons fault.:(
I should have added that if the worst does happen, most involved are then totally unprepared for the overwhelming guilt they feel, even in cases where it isn't there fault.

Advertisers