Correct grease for secondary drive on a BBSHD ?

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
I've been running my BBSHD powered fat bike for 300 miles. and all of a sudden it developed a metal on metal sound, and a slight vibration on the drive side of the motor, so I done the usual and checked with WWW land, and discovered that a lack of, or incorrect grease on the secondary drive, which from the way it feals/sounds, sounded about right. So I took of the cover to be shocked on how little grease there actually was on the drive gear, and what little there is has just been pushed to the edge not coming into anything of any purpose.

My problem comes from what grease to use, some say moly grease others say don't use moly as it can get into the primary and degrade the nylon gear. But others say either Mobile28, or Aeroshell 22. What do people here recommend, and I need to use my bike daily for work, and the only grease I've got to hand is white lithium grease, would I be OK to use this for now ? I need to travel about 60 miles, in total, depending on how long delivery of the correct grease takes to arrive. I'm thinking some grease is better than none, and the bulk of the temp solution can always be removed when the correct is applied. Cheers guys.

I've been running my BBSHD powered fat bike for 300 miles. and all of a sudden it developed a metal on metal sound, and a slight vibration on the drive side of the motor, so I done the usual and checked with WWW land, and discovered that a lack of, or incorrect grease on the secondary drive, which from the way it feals/sounds, sounded about right. So I took of the cover to be shocked on how little grease there actually was on the drive gear, and what little there is has just been pushed to the edge not coming into anything of any purpose.

My problem comes from what grease to use, some say moly grease others say don't use moly as it can get into the primary and degrade the nylon gear. But others say either Mobile28, or Aeroshell 22. What do people here recommend, and I need to use my bike daily for work, and the only grease I've got to hand is white lithium grease, would I be OK to use this for now ? I need to travel about 60 miles, in total, depending on how long delivery of the correct grease takes to arrive. I'm thinking some grease is better than none, and the bulk of the temp solution can always be removed when the correct is applied. Cheers guys.
I use mobilgrease 28. The reason not moly or lithium is because behind a bearing inside the main casing is a nylon helical cog. Concern exists around the wrong type of grease seeping through said bearing and causing degradation of the nylon material and in time the helical cog breaking down inside when under heavier loads. That's my take anyway :)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
I use mobilgrease 28. The reason not moly or lithium is because behind a bearing inside the main casing is a nylon helical cog. Concern exists around the wrong type of grease seeping through said bearing and causing degradation of the nylon material and in time the helical cog breaking down inside when under heavier loads. That's my take anyway :)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
I've been leaning towards the Mobile28, but around 90% of all the threads, posts and videos, say to use moly, but upon reading almost all said it's not nylon safe, and considering the BBS## use materials including nylon in their units, why would they risk it ?

Lithium/moly is far easier and cheaper to get hold of I guess? Particularly in small quantities. Perhaps the thought is, it's better than nothing? And perhaps it is?.. dry secondary drive can become loud and emit a disconcerting rumble as it slowly wears away the teeth so the drive becomes sloppy and knocky.
A "Lube it up with something is better than nothing" mentality?
I managed to get some tubes of Mobilgrease28 (I think I put a link to the website on here somewhere if you do a search) and now put extra in every BBSxx motor I come across :)

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
Cheers mate, that's my thought, something is better than nothing, and at least the white lithium grease that I do have, won't effect the primary nylon drive if it were to get through to the other side. Thanks for the link mate, I've just placed an order, so if they're on the ball with their deliveries it should be here by Wednesday at the latest, so I've only got a 10 mile ride, and a 20 mile ride, between now and then so, I should be golden.

Reactions: brightonebikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: brightonebikes

Related Articles

Advertisers