Cost to Charge a Battery

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
I wonder if you guys could refresh my memory as to how many KwH it uses to charge a 36v 14AH battery for around 5 hours.

Also what's your best guess at an average KwH charge at present.

This needed as I embark on a small challenge to cycle the entire Cornish coastline from Plymouth to Barnstaple via Land's End to raise funds for PANCREATIC CANCER UK. Around 310 miles, so a bit of charging required along the way! Hoping to start later this week or early next, weather dependent.

Should any forum member be prepared to put a bit in the pot, however small, the JustGiving link is;

www.justgiving.com/Tony-Archer

Thanks a lot, and many thanks JD for your much appreciated donation.

Regards
Tony

Reactions: steve.c

VictoryV

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2012
near Biggleswade
I wonder if you guys could refresh my memory as to how many KwH it uses to charge a 36v 14AH battery for around 5 hours.

Also what's your best guess at an average KwH charge at present.

This needed as I embark on a small challenge to cycle the entire Cornish coastline from Plymouth to Barnstaple via Land's End to raise funds for PANCREATIC CANCER UK. Around 310 miles, so a bit of charging required along the way! Hoping to start later this week or early next, weather dependent.

Should any forum member be prepared to put a bit in the pot, however small, the JustGiving link is;

www.justgiving.com/Tony-Archer

Thanks a lot, and many thanks JD for your much appreciated donation.

Regards
Tony
36x14 = 504 watt hours - that's half a KWH. Assuming a really poor charger with 50% efficiency then it would take 1 KHW to charge your battery

My electricity bill shows cost close to 12p per KWH - so if your charger is more than 50% efficient then your cost is 12p or less, at 100% efficient then it would be as low as 6p

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Donated, may you raise loads.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi Tony.Just donated and wish you luck on you ride and may the weather be good to you!!. And Come on you pedalecers get donating you never know it may happen to you ?????? But hopefully not my friends.
regards Steve.

C

Cyclezee

Bumpty Bump, come on guys make Tony's ride really worth it, every little contribution counts, or to quote Tony "Seize the Moment"

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Tony, Having lost my wife, I am right there beside you on your ride. Go for it.
Best wishes,
Mike