costco jetson electric mtb

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
went to local Costco (Watford herts) to look at jetson ebike which has inbuilt battery.
its 36v 250w rear hub 9 levels off assist ,21 speed inbuilt front light, kickstand mech disks
in light/dark grey looks quite nice nolt too sure of size its apparently ok for 6ft people.
weight on box states 42lbs
£1078 inc vat
you would not know its an ebike as battery is not visable, but I don't think the rathere tall lcd is removable?DSCF0455.JPG DSCF0460.JPG
whoops forgot to say front sus with lockout battery is 7.8ah

Reactions: Wheel-E

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
yes it is neat that's what I liked, although to be fair woosh rio hydraulic brakes bigger battery and 60nm .
but I think the jetson would be a great stealth bike, just cover lcd with phone cover or map cases that fit on handlebars or front tube.
sail past people and when they look at bike no obvious battery.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Pretty weedy battery at 7.8ah, ok if you have a short commute or can charge at work, and if you are hitting and maintaining it's claimed top speed of 20mph (are they breaking the law selling it in UK?) I guess the range will be reduced at that speed. Looks good though, shame cable discs

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Nice looking bike but the battery doesn't look to be easily removable so maybe you would have to bring it indoors in freezing weather.
Dave.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
DC is partly right about leaving the bike out in freezing conditions, generally it won't do any harm. But when it comes to charging lithium doesn't hold a full charge well when charged at a cold temp, will discharge quickly and voltage sag will be greater. Charging should be done with a battery at ambient temps of above 10 celsius.

• Informative
Reactions: nemesis

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I like that one - nice and neat. I can't understand why Woosk/Kudos/Wisper/Oxygen/etc never did a bike like that. It's not too difficult.

More info on it here:
https://www.ridejetson.com/adventure-electric-bike
We do have something similar coming. The issues are getting a large enough capacity battery into the frame and then making sure the battery is easily accessible and removable. The Jetson battery is static and cannot be removed. Not great for commuters or people who need to remove their battery for charging, or those who want to carry a spare battery for riding longer distances.

All the best, David

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I like that one - nice and neat. I can't understand why Woosk/Kudos/Wisper/Oxygen/etc never did a bike like that. It's not too difficult.
The Woosh Rio MTB caters for this market, with bigger battery (13AH or 17AH), stronger motor, better brakes, better shocks, better crankset etc...

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rio-mtb

D

Deleted member 4366

We do have something similar coming. The issues are getting a large enough capacity battery into the frame and then making sure the battery is easily accessible and removable. The Jetson battery is static and cannot be removed. Not great for commuters or people who need to remove their battery for charging, or those who want to carry a spare battery for riding longer distances.

All the best, David
Frequent battery removal should be discouraged as it brings warranty issues. I accept that some people need to remove batteries for charging, but I would say that most don't.

How much capacity you can get in the downtube is only a question of design. 60 cells should be possible with a thick downtube, which is 18Ah at 36v. A sportier hybrid type could have a thinner downtube.

50 20700 cells would be 65mm diameter and 560mm long.

To compete against the big retailers, small independent brands need to be innovative and supply bikes more tuned to specific user-groups needs/desires.

• Agree
Reactions: Wheel-E

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
To compete against the big retailers, small independent brands need to be innovative and supply bikes more tuned to specific user-groups needs/desires.
I am not sure you are right on this. This may work for some top engineering companies like R&M.
If you tune a bike to suit a smaller group of users, you will increase costs, in production, distribution and support.
You end up with a lesser value proposition.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay
D

Deleted member 4366

I am not sure you are right on this. This may work for some top engineering companies like R&M.
If you tune a bike to suit a smaller group of users, you will increase costs, in production, distribution and support.
You end up with a lesser value proposition.
Time will tell. I predict that we will see some well-known brands pack it in this year - probably at least three!

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
did not realise battery was fixed, the only bike I have seen in the flesh where I had to look a bit harder if it was indeed electric was one of the oxygen range which do a 13ah option

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
How much capacity you can get in the downtube is only a question of design. 60 cells should be possible with a thick downtube, which is 18Ah at 36v. A sportier hybrid type could have a thinner downtube.

50 20700 cells would be 65mm diameter and 560mm long.

To add to that. Electrics aren't my thing, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't take much to add a plug to the frame, that would enable a Bottle battery to be added, for additional range.

A discreet package for short runs/commutes, and extended range when required. A win win.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A discreet package for short runs/commutes, and extended range when required. A win win.
the hidden battery is a definite advantage on folding bikes where space is at an absolute premium. Its value is less obvious on an e-mtb and some would consider not being able to remove or lock the battery a disadvantage.
If you look at all the successful e-MTBs (Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, Brose etc), there is no attempt to hide the motors and batteries, just make them look tidy and integrated.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Isn't making the batteries integrated, the same as hiding them?

Personably, I hate integrated batteries on eMTB's, especially given the hassle of removing and changing batteries mid ride, with many requiring the undoing of bolts.

For aesthetic reasons, I like to see road bikes with hidden/integrated batteries, but in respect of eMTB's, I just see them a tool to do a job, and prefer function and practicality over design aesthetics. Sadly many don't see it that way, and market trends are certainly heading towards fully integrated/hidden batteries. It is a brave move on the part of Amps launching a bike with a semi integrated battery, but for me it is by far the most practical and sensible design method, and I hope that potential buyers will see it the same way.

Back to the bike that the OP was talking about, I'd certainly not call it an eMTB as per the thread header. An urban commuter yes, but that is where it stops.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes
D

Deleted member 4366

To add to that. Electrics aren't my thing, but I'm guessing that it wouldn't take much to add a plug to the frame, that would enable a Bottle battery to be added, for additional range.

That's another idea that I like. It saves having to worry about your battery when you just nip down to the shops or pub. It would make a lot of sense to have a two-battery setup; however, it's not as simple as just adding an extra connector. You need a device that constantly and seamlessly switches from one battery to the next depending on voltage so that you can connect the second battery at whatever state of charge you want. Bosch have something like that. Any college student studying electronics should be able to make such a device.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
i have kudos/bottle battery, subway dolphin ,and ktm bosch downtube battery.
these are held in place by 2 or 3 5mm bolts, so the worry for me is if batteries are left on the bike it would not take much to lever of said battery.
something like oxygen/woosh with part integrated battery I would think is more difficult for a thief to pry out of the frame and only be off use with that specific bike.

yesterday tried out new dolphin and at 3.1 kg deliberated wether I wanted to lug it around so took a chance and left on the bike.

my ktm bosch I find I am not using that much due to not wanting to leave battery on bike , so another thing to carry + removing display.
so I like the idea of in frame but removable but would want 10ah minimum

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I always charge and keep my battery indoors so when I start a ride my battery is at room temp and as it discharges it helps keep the temp up.

I've learned from experience that if you start off on a cold day with a cold battery you'll get a noticeably reduced range.
Also whenever I see manufactures battery data sheets they include references to temp vs discharge capacity like this
image.jpeg

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Dave. We have two new bikes being finalised now, a folder and a unisex step through. Both will have completely hidden but easily removable batteries with the option to fit rack batteries for longer rides. We are going 30 cells on the folder and 50 on the step through for the internal batteries.

I agree to survive in this now very competitive and complex market, the smaller players need to be very innovative and become more focused on specific market areas.

I also agree with your prediction, I think we will lose as many as 3 well known names this year. Buyers should think carefully before investing in some brands as spare parts and warranty work may not be available.

All the best, David