Could eddy currents be causing this riding through treacle effect

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Halfords have taken it in to investigate. Very helpful technician who has been on some Bosch courses but says he hasn't come across any other reports of this problem (and I seem to be the only one on this forum).
It's going to be hit or miss as he has a test route, but he can only take it out for half an hour or so.
Yesterday when I rode beside the Tyne it misbehaved for the first 7 miles (riding from west to east), then more or less behaved itself riding back up the other bank, during which I rarely had to switch on the motor. But the first 7 miles were awful with me struggling to pedal in 3rd bottom gear on just about level ground.
Mike

Reactions: Artstu
D

Deleted member 25121

If it only does this under heavy load it points more and more towards the motor and crank bearing or the clutch mechanism, as others have suggested.
If he can't find any problems perhaps you could suggest he tries it out on a steepish hill.
Good luck.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I'm crossing my fingers that it will trigger on the steady slope I know is part way round his route. But it's such a weird problem. The 7 miles yesterday contained virtually no up slopes, and it first came on while riding on level ground through an industrial estate. Having said that the problem does seem to be triggered by SOME load being on the crank but often even the huge load of pedalling up a steep hill does NOT trigger the problem.
Mike

D

Deleted member 25121

I'm crossing my fingers that it will trigger on the steady slope I know is part way round his route. But it's such a weird problem. The 7 miles yesterday contained virtually no up slopes, and it first came on while riding on level ground through an industrial estate. Having said that the problem does seem to be triggered by SOME load being on the crank but often even the huge load of pedalling up a steep hill does NOT trigger the problem.
Mike
Hmmm, if the torque sensor was sometimes playing up or had a bad connection it might cause those symptoms....

On second thoughts, not the torque sensor. You have the Active Line Plus not the Performance CX and this happens with no battery fitted.

Please keep us informed.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeS

Advertisers