Could slime have seald my valve

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Hi every one this is probably be being daft.
this eavning it looked like my front tire was a bit low thought i woluld try and pump it up a bit i did this then removed the pump from the valve and it continued let air out and some green slime now tring to pump up the tire is crazy hard like hurting my arm sore. is there any chance that slime may have blocked the vavle
davidk

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Apparently yes:

Off the Slime web site:

"I've installed SLiME into my tire and now my valve is clogged. What do I do?

We recommend rotating the tire so the valve is up at the 10 and 2 o'clock position. Then slowly deflate the tire and remove the valve core using a valve core remover tool. Rinse off the core with warm water to remove any sealant and fibers. Next, take a Q-Tip, wet one end and insert it into the valve stem to clean and clear the passage. Re-insert the core, re-inflate the tire. Air should now flow easily in and out of the tire. "

SLIME Flat Tire Repair - Smart Solutions for Flat Tire Prevention: ATV, Bicycle, Motorcycle, Lawn Tractor

PS not sure what the valve remover tool is or if you need one for the vlaves on the wisper. Woods type?

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
oh dear i just wanted to pump up my tires

and yea wats a valve core remover tool

davidk

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
oh dear i just wanted to pump up my tires

and yea wats a valve core remover tool

davidk
Was it a pre treated slime tube with a presta valve you put in yourself. The presta valves are the thin ones with the locking nut on top. The schrader valves are like car tyre ones. Not sure about the woods but I think Wisper used to put those in.

The next faq was
"What is a valve core?

If you look straight down into the top of the valve stem you will see the very top of the core threaded inside the valve stem. The valve core remover tool that comes with the sealant slips right over this and by turning the tool in a counter-clockwise direction you will begin to unscrew the core. Keep turning until the entire piece falls out of the stem. With the core removed, SLiME can now be easily installed through the cleared passage. When the installation is complete, clean the area and replace the core screwing it tightly into place. "

PS there's no removable core on a Presta that's why they supply pre treated tubes.

Last edited:

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
Was it a pre treated slime tube with a presta valve you put in yourself. The presta valves are the thin ones with the locking nut on top. The schrader valves are like car tyre ones. Not sure about the woods but I think Wisper used to put those in.

The next faq was
"What is a valve core?

If you look straight down into the top of the valve stem you will see the very top of the core threaded inside the valve stem. The valve core remover tool that comes with the sealant slips right over this and by turning the tool in a counter-clockwise direction you will begin to unscrew the core. Keep turning until the entire piece falls out of the stem. With the core removed, SLiME can now be easily installed through the cleared passage. When the installation is complete, clean the area and replace the core screwing it tightly into place. "

PS there's no removable core on a Presta that's why they supply pre treated tubes.

its a schrader valve. the tube came pre slimed just new bilke on moday
nut no core removal tool guess i need to get a tube of slime tommorow for the tool.

david

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
You should be able to get a removal tool from any auto parts store or halfords rather than buying more slime. You could get a new valve as well in case the old ones faulty (save cleaning it out). If it came with your bike maybe wisper could send you a replacement.

PS. Slime recommend rotating the tyre so the valve stem is in the 10 or 2 o'clock position. Gravity helps the sealant to flow away from the stem preventing it from blowing up through and out of the valve stem where the fibres and other particles can clog and block the valve and or blow out into your pump .

Also I never realised this was the wisper bike clinic so apologies if I shouldn't be on this thread. Good luck.

Last edited:

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
I have used the slime product for several years on my push bike with schrader valve. The valve does get clogged up but I found that the cheap car tyre foot pump that I bought from ASDA for under £10 copes very well and also the pump is much superior to any hand pump that I have tried.

winterdog

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2009
I have used the slime product for several years on my push bike with schrader valve. The valve does get clogged up but I found that the cheap car tyre foot pump that I bought from ASDA for under £10 copes very well and also the pump is much superior to any hand pump that I have tried.
i had a similar idea today 4 qudid from argos
but i think that was just a bit too cheap.
Brokern pump :~(. need to get one more tomorow

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
arghh the old cheapo crappy pump issue. My pet hate to. Never thought of that...

Advertisers