Councils considering 20mph zones

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I understand it, the moves are primarily for the residential zones. Through traffic routes are unlikely to be affected to much extent, so the benefits to us will be limited.

I'd prefer this in those zones instead of the speed calming bumps etc that are presently used.

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
As I understand it, the moves are primarily for the residential zones. Through traffic routes are unlikely to be affected to much extent, so the benefits to us will be limited.

I'd prefer this in those zones instead of the speed calming bumps etc that are presently used.
Well been as the bumps are because people wont stick to 30 mph dont expect them to disapear.

In fact based on local experience 20 mp zones mean even more bumps and chicanes.

Also have one of these near me which seem a better idea (but estate neeeds to be designed around the concept).

as you say neither idea likely to effect through routes just housing estates.

Last edited:

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
I thought it was to increase the holiday bonus for the mobile speed camra van operators!!!

Bob

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Well been as the bumps are because people wont stick to 30 mph dont expect them to disapear.

In fact based on local experience 20 mp zones mean even more bumps and chicanes.

Also have one of these near me which seem a better idea (but estate neeeds to be designed around the concept).

as you say neither idea likely to effect through routes just housing estates.
by one these i meant Home zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
I wish the designers of these speed control measures that seem commonplace in 20mph zones (bumps and chicanes) gave a little more thought to cyclists. Some of the speed bumps around here actually have such a small gap right in the gutter and are so steep sided as to present a bit of a hazard on bike. We even have one street where some of the speed bumps are aligned with the drains, forcing bikes out into the middle of the bump. Even worse are the chicanes with no cycle gap. These seem to almost invite passing cars to overtake a bike right in the narrow bit, for some reason.

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between those designing cycle lanes and encouraging bike use and those planning and installing traffic calming measures, at least around here. One would have thought that they should be working together, but perhaps that's too much to ask!

D

Deleted member 4366

When I worked in Germany in Remscheid, there was a very steep down-hill as you came out of the town centre. It had a 30km speed limit - I guess because it wasn't easy to stop if someone jumped out on you. It was very difficult to keep your speed down to 30kph because of the steepness of the hill. Two thirds of the way down the hill was a sharp left bend with a speed camera hidden around the corner. It didn't take any prisoners. You got a ticket as soon as you were more than 33kph, consequently everybody observed the limit. No need for speed bumps or chicanes.

Many of the cameras in Germany are hidden round corners and there's no warning signs, so people observe the speed limits there to a much higher degree than we do here.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
We have quite a few 20mph zones round my neck of the wood, which are not to bad for cycling over, the next Borough to me went slightly over the top with traffic calming speed bumps, which closed down a few bus routes as the buses were getting suspension and body damage, to which they re-designed the bumps with 'gaps' that make cycling even better.

Advertisers