Country footpaths and why not to ride

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've never been an advocate of riding country footpath, not for any legal reasons but more because they throw up unexpected obstacles :rolleyes:
Yesterday I was aimlessly riding and came across a section of byway I hadn’t ridden for at least 20 years, I remembered they had built a bypass around a local village and i was curious to know what they had done with the rights of way. It turns out they just drove the bypass straight over it :confused:
left with two choices, go back the way I came or try the nearby footpath (a small part of the macmillan way) against my better judgment I chose the footpath.
the first field had no sign of a path but I could just make out a break in the hedge on the opposite side, the field recently had cattle in it so it was rough riding with the typical cattle related obstacles (some quite fresh under a crusty top o_O ) The break in the hedge turned out to be a “kissing gate” https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=kissing+gate&safe=off&client=safari&hl=en-gb&sxsrf=ALeKk03QsBivUnO6u5qiEk71o-ZBoR8PXA:1590913572499&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0q-3y1t3pAhUOURUIHcAEBwQQ_AUoAXoECBAQAw&biw=1173&bih=743&dpr=2
I don’t like to be beaten and found that if I stand the bike in its back wheel I can push it into the gate just far enough to get through, simples.
The second kissing gate took me to a one plank wide bridge over a stream into a wooded area, the walking the bike on the back wheel method that got me through the gates also got me over the bridge, the Wood was to overgrown to ride but I could make out the path so I pushed on.
The wood stopped abruptly as I came to another kissing gate and the new bypass I mentioned earlier, there was a tunnel under the new road but first I had the gate to negotiate, this was a nice new gate but slightly smaller than the previous gates and no only did I have to stand the bike vertically on its back wheel I also had to lower the seat post:( Two more gates later and I’m now quite efficient at getting through kissing gates:cool:
I’ll soon be in the clear I think as I can see rooftops over the hedges, I see just one last gate In the distance so it’ll be soon over (famous last words)
that last gate was preceded by a style, the gap between style and gate was less than the length of my bike :eek: the hottest part of the day and I was cream cracker’d.
I took 5 minutes to consider my options, go back the way I came or figure out how to get my 24kg bike past this obstacle. I walked on to the end of the field to be sure this really was the last gate before field striping my bike, battery out, seatpost out and wheels off.
The bike went through the gate no problem one pice at a time :p

.The last gate
075FB416-57A5-4DD0-BC92-B7C8D0EDACC1.jpeg
At 58 with arthritis in my knees, bulging discs in my back and a reconstructed left elbow, I starting to think I’m too old for this.
Never again will I venture down a unknown FOOTPATH

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Two more gates later and I’m now quite efficient at getting through kissing gates:cool:
My council has actually produced a kissing gate specifically designed to make it impossible to get a bicycle through.

And it really is impossible, even for a very strong mountain bike rider in his twenties.

It was for a nature reserve where there's a by law against cycling, but that is no longer observed and there are other ways in now.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Tell me about it. The other day I went down a bridle way and the farmer had erected his electric cattle fence across it about 4ft high!

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Tell me about it. The other day I went down a bridle way and the farmer had erected his electric cattle fence across it about 4ft high!
You local (county) council should be able to take action; but I think they were totally under-resourced for that even before CV. I'm pretty sure some landowners are taking advantage of this.

Time for coordinated action by Ramblers Association, Cycling UK and British Horse Society. Does anyone know if such action is happening, and if so is there anywhere to report incidents?

You may have seen reports that the illegal killing of birds of prey by landowning/shooting interests has increased dramatically this year.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
As a cyclist I can’t complain about the type of gate on a footpath,
although riding on a footpath without the landowners consent is not a criminal offence it still constitutes trespass and is a civil matter, I shouldn't have been there in the first place.
there’s plenty more things on official cycle paths to complain about.
there’s a Recent extension to my local country park, consisting of a shared use 2M wide tarmac path (less than 2 miles) and a further 4 miles of narrow gravel footpaths.
As a member of the local cycle club we were invited to the official opening, unfortunately it just happened to be the same weekend of the national lockdown.
so for the last two months I've been using The tarmac path as a part of a traffic free route I take my sister on as she’s new to cycling, all nice and user friendly, That is until now.
In the past week for some unfathomable reason they have covered the nice smooth New tarmac with grit, it’s not even smooth gravel but sharp Loose grit and quite a thick layer as well. This makes the path dangerous for new cyclists or anyone who’s unsteady. The local cycling community are not happy but ownership is a little hazy at the moment.
a fellow club member said this
The path and extension to the park was paid for by the developers and passed over to the borough council. I don't think the paths are yet adopted for highways purposes so Street Doctor probably wouldn't be the right route for a complaint. Although I saw something this week about Upton country park (and other parks) being handed over to the parish council. That could complicate matters”

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I live in Warwick and the racecourse here has several paths across it into the surrounding countryside. When I first moved here, I saw one route and thought it'd be a nice walk. It crosses the A46 - a de facto motorway - and I assumed that there would be a footbridge. When I got there, there was no bridge, just gaps in the barriers on the central reservation. I was 10 years younger then, but it was still risky getting across both carriageways. I can't believe that no provision was made for those on foot. Ironically, about 200 metres (inaccessibly) further up the road, there is a bridge - for a farmer to get his cattle across. What twisted priorities. I'm not complaining about the farmer getting a bridge, but why not pedestrians too?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and sjpt