Help! Coyote Connect Battery not charging after long period of storage

AbuHaneefah

Just Joined
Mar 17, 2021
Hi All,
I have a Coyote Connect e-bike that I used to use regularly for commuting.
I have used it a few times after I stopped commuting by bike after moving jobs.
However due to COVID it has been sat in my garage unused for over a year now. I tried to use it the other day but the battery would not charge, the red light for '20%' would come on when checking how much it is charged and if I put it in the bike the first red indicator will come on where you set the power of the bike.

Reading the various threads on here, it seems it might be the BMS and I need to try a soft or hard reset first, but I have no idea how to do this and I don't have a multimeter.

Any ideas or can someone point me to somewhere that can do an inexpensive repair?

Thanks in advance
AH

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi All,
I have a Coyote Connect e-bike that I used to use regularly for commuting.
I have used it a few times after I stopped commuting by bike after moving jobs.
However due to COVID it has been sat in my garage unused for over a year now. I tried to use it the other day but the battery would not charge, the red light for '20%' would come on when checking how much it is charged and if I put it in the bike the first red indicator will come on where you set the power of the bike.

Reading the various threads on here, it seems it might be the BMS and I need to try a soft or hard reset first, but I have no idea how to do this and I don't have a multimeter.

Any ideas or can someone point me to somewhere that can do an inexpensive repair?

Thanks in advance
AH
To me, its sounds like the battery has died. Have you measured the output voltage with a reliable volt meter. If yes, post the value measured and the nominal voltage. Be careful, (in the case of some charge still there), not to short out the battery terminals.
You may possibly be able to get the battery rebuilt with new cells, if you are lucky.
Li-ion and even other chemistries, cannot just left to their own devices, as if they discharge below a certain level, the cells corrode internally. Basically, they need to stay above a certain voltage (around 30 volts for a 36 volt Li-ion battery), and need to be checked say every 4 weeks or so.
They do not need to be fully charged if not required for some time, but a safe voltage to maintain (for a 36 volt battery) would be between 34 to 38 volts.
I hope this helps
Andy

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Check output voltage as said with a meter first.
A wild guess is that the battery may be ok, a likely scenario is that a cell group voltage has gone down below 3v so the BMS will not switch on. If so it will need manually charging by coaxing it back to life , one would need some common sense and diy skills to open the battery to check with a meter. We are good at instruction if you have the capability.