Cracked Disc Brakes mounts points.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
The other day whilst cleaning the bike i noticed on the front fork the mounts points for my disc brakes was cracked. A closer examination revealed both mount points were damaged, one with a big lump missing, the other with a hair-line crack. The bolts are still holding.

The front fork is a suntour XCR which was new on the bike when it was bought in 2012.
Does anyone know if this is a common occurance, and if not, is it more likely on an ebike than a normal bike?

I am raising this point to have you all check your bikes for this potential safety hazard.

It could have been my fault, but its hard to say. Could over tightening the bolts which hold the disc brake lead to extra stress on those mount points. If the bolt was slightly too long for the hole and the disc brake, could this lead to a stress and metal fatigue at that point.

I am tempted now to grind the bolts, just enough for me to tighten them without this extra penalty. I now have a new front fork which will be installed as soon as i have this worked out.

What do you all think?

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Have you had since 2012 the discs off or replaced them?
I've removed the disc brakes, loosened and adjusted it from time to time.
I just hadn't checked the mount points until recently.

I may have over tightened the bolts, which if the bolts are fractionally longer than the hole could have lead to stress on those mount points.

I thought i would alert the rest of you to this possibility.

• Informative
Reactions: mike killay