Cracks in tyres

robinnj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2010
Hi, I purchased a Kalkhoff Pro Connect S from 50 cycles back in April last year. The tyres on it are Continental Top Contact and they are starting to crack around the sidewalls.

Does anyone have any experience of these tyres as I have another bike that is 8 years old and no such cracking is happening on it's tyres.

Thanks

Auldgit

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2009
Chester
Hi, I purchased a Kalkhoff Pro Connect S from 50 cycles back in April last year. The tyres on it are Continental Top Contact and they are starting to crack around the sidewalls.

Does anyone have any experience of these tyres as I have another bike that is 8 years old and no such cracking is happening on it's tyres.

Thanks
Tyres these days are rubbish compared to the old days. I remember when you could run a tyre until it went bald, nowadays the ones I throw away still have loads of tread left but the carcases are shot. Just replacing a Continental on my daughter's ebike, only been on 12 months, big bulges in two places, tread hardly worn. Perhaps we should start a survey to see if anyone has found a decent tyre recently.

D

Deleted member 4366

I bought a pair about this time last year and they also have cracked side-walls. My bike's always been kept inside, so I guess it's crappy rubber. The main tread is OK, so I'll carry on with them for another couple of years. it's nothing to worry about. It looks worse than it is. I've had tyres crack before and I used them for years like it.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Tyres with white or cream sidewalls have always crazed, in my use.
Never bothered me and I've never had one fail.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The hand made top contacts do crack, mine have...both sets. Disappointing for such an expensive tyre but they do role well. They are very susceptible to under inflation, when I had my Proconnect new I got a puncture soon after, I had to roll on the deflating tyre for a 100yards or so before I could stop....it was enough to crack the side walls.

There's a cheaper version of the same tyre that is meant to be much better but I've not tried it...

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I've got a 2009 PCS with exactly the same issue - doesn't seem to be a problem. I've still never yet had a puncture. As NRG says, they need to be well inflated - I try and keep mine at 60 psi.

BTW, the original tubes had Woods valves, which I changed, firstly to Prestas, and now to Schraders. I'd used Prestas for donkey's years and then kept getting a problem with one of the valves on the Kalkhoff, whereby the top part of the valve would come unscrewed a bit, losing all the tyre pressure. I've never had this happen before, but after a couple of flats because of it, I got fed up and switched to Schraders, because I hate not being able to rely on something. Also, Prestas can be a bit sensitive to rough treatment and the valve stems get bent, while Schraders are more sturdy IMHO, and are now available on decent quality lightweight tubes as well as the old agricultural type that tends to go on 'recreational' bikes.

Finally, gradual rationalisation across the fleet means I only need one type of pump connector for bikes and cars - sorted!