Crank Removal - Bosch Active Line

Matt Vinyl

Just Joined
May 3, 2021
I bought a simple crank removal tool online (picture) but it doesn't work on my Bosch Activeline motor. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the right tool please?

Attachments

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex
Hey Matt - that looks like the right tool (on my phone) to remove the cranks. Take out the centre of a crank with a Allen key and then insert and screw in the black end into the thread. then you can use the silver end with a spanner to push the crank off the spindle.
might help

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Hey Matt - that looks like the right tool (on my phone) to remove the cranks. Take out the centre of a crank with a Allen key and then insert and screw in the black end into the thread. then you can use the silver end with a spanner to push the crank off the spindle.
might help
Make sure the silver end is fully unscrewed each time you use it before you fully screw in the black end. Otherwise the black part will not engage many threads in the crank arm, and strip the threads in the crank arm. (You can learn by my mistakes.)

WavyDavy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2019
I don't know about active line but the Performance CX has a hollow axle and the pin bit of my extractor was too small and went in the bore instead of pushing on the end of the axle. My answer was to get a bit of 6mm rod that goes right through the axle and engages on the crank bolt on the other side.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I don't know about active line but the Performance CX has a hollow axle and the pin bit of my extractor was too small and went in the bore instead of pushing on the end of the axle. My answer was to get a bit of 6mm rod that goes right through the axle and engages on the crank bolt on the other side.
Most crank extractors are supplied with a fitted smaller push plate, and a larger plate which can be slipped over the smaller one for a bigger opening.

Matt Vinyl

Just Joined
May 3, 2021
Thank you all for your replies. I have the same problem as WavyDavy in that the end of my tool has a small diameter that goes in the end of the threads rather than pushing on the spines. The Bosch Crank Puller mentioned by the e-bikeshop.co.uk specifically says not suitable for Active line motors!

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Also an ALP owner.
I had the same problem and used a short counter sunk head hex bolt to plug the hole, I can’t remember for sure the size as I have screws and bolts scattered throughout my garage, maybe 6mm or 8mm.
Also as the cranks can be blumin tight, I warm them with a hot air gun first, I’ve found a warm crank comes off easier than a cold one ;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thank you all for your replies. I have the same problem as WavyDavy in that the end of my tool has a small diameter that goes in the end of the threads rather than pushing on the spines. The Bosch Crank Puller mentioned by the e-bikeshop.co.uk specifically says not suitable for Active line motors!
If you have the smaller spline crank, the correct tool was linked in the very next sentence in that link above:

"Please note: This tool does not work with the 2018+ Active Line / Active Line PLUS Bosch motor as this has a smaller spline. You will need to use this tool for these motor types."