Cree light battery/battery mod/questions

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Ok so after a topic about them the other week I ordered 2 lights and 3 batteries.

1x zoom
1800LM CREE XML T6 LED Rechargeable Bicycle Lamp Bike HeadLight Headlamp | eBay

1x regular
1800 Lm CREE XM-L XML T6 LED Bicycle bike Head Light Headlamp Rechargeable Head | eBay

1x spare battery pack
KDQ6 NEW 6400MAH 8.4V RECHARGEABLE BATTERY PACK FOR BICYLE LIGHT SCA-1514 | eBay

I then figured I know lots about the lights but very little about the battery so I had a look online about them. It wasn't all pretty and many of them seemed to arrive unbalanced and one guy had his catch fire.

So based on what I will have(12 cells and whatever comes with them). Should I be looking to break them open and mod them or have they improved?

Also if I do break them open what would I need to mod them into one 8 cell battery and a spare 4 cell battery.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mine have worked perfectly for two years. If you have one of those zoomable torches that run off Ultrafire cells, be awsre thst they usually don't have any low voltage control, so charge at the first sign of not as bright as normal.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
There's a saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mine have worked perfectly for two years. If you have one of those zoomable torches that run off Ultrafire cells, be awsre thst they usually don't have any low voltage control, so charge at the first sign of not as bright as normal.
They both have the 4 cell shrink wrap packs(wanted them to be interchangable). Is just my cynical side looking for the weak link/bad part of the cheap lights.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have 2 sets of those lights which you have bought, one set running off my electric bike battery, the other set, on a non-electric bike, powered by one of those 4 x cell shrink wrapped batteries. Both sets of lights work well and the shrink wrap battery has performed well for the past 2 years. Take d8veh's advice.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Tillson,

What bike do you have and how did you wire one of these lights to the bike battery?

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I now run 2 cree headlights and a magicshine rear. The only mod I've made is to connect the packs in parallel to allow all 3 lights to be powered from the same source. The packs sit in a frame mounted bag, which is also where the connections are made. That way, one light doesn't run it's pack flat first.
I looked at running them all from the cycle battery, but as I often seem to run that flat, I decided not to reduce it's range further. :)

C

Cyclezee

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Hi Clockwise,

How does the 1 x zoom light perform in comparison to the 1 x regular?
I can't tell yet, had a family member buy the regular one as a christmas present and expected them to let me use it before(being it's safety and all) but they said no so ordered the other and it should arrive in work tomorrow.

I'm hoping I can set the zoom one to a wider beam like the one in this video but it looks different so I can't tell.

Mountain Bike eBay CREE XM-L T6 1800 Lumen LED Headlight and Handlebar torch Combo = brilliant - YouTube

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hi Tillson,

What bike do you have and how did you wire one of these lights to the bike battery?
I still have the Kalkhoff Pro Connect. I ran a wire, with an in-line fuse, off the back of the battery connector on the bike to a DC-DC converter (12 to 60 Volt input 9 Volts out) which is housed in a small IP66 rated box. I have mounted a toggle switch on the box and a small indicator LED so that I can switch power to the DC-DC converter. I then brought a feed out of the IP66 box and ran it through the frame to the front lights. A second feed goes to one of those BikeRay rear lights.

The setup works really well, just one battery to charge which is ideal for my commuting use.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Seems aj odd way to use the 2 lights:

I'd have thought it'd make more sense to have the handlebar lamp on wide beam & the headtorch on spot, so the intense light is wherever you're looking.
He is bombing around trails in the dark, maybe a screw loose... on the handlebar fitting.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hi Clockwise,

How does the 1 x zoom light perform in comparison to the 1 x regular?
Sorry to jump in, but I have both types. The non-zoom is more powerful by quite a margin. The zoom light is ok and I find it works best as a flood light. If you zoom it too much, it focuses to an intense rectangle of light.

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
I have 2 sets of those lights which you have bought, one set running off my electric bike battery, the other set, on a non-electric bike, powered by one of those 4 x cell shrink wrapped batteries. Both sets of lights work well and the shrink wrap battery has performed well for the past 2 years. Take d8veh's advice.
I was looking at similar on Amazon and wondered, can 2x lights be made to flash alternately? So 1 steady beam from riders pov, with visibility of separated flashing lights giving appearance of movement to traffic, and 1 batt pack on bike, 1 on charge (if weight /bulk matters). Oh and are they really rubber banded on, or which proper fixings used?.. & please? Thanks, oops :)

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I use one of these (9V version) for CREE and magicshine lights run off 36V battery. It's good for up to 3A and copes with a rear light plus a 3-CREE front light (even on high setting) fine. tch-warehouse are quick to dispatch and send from HK or Singapore, not Shanghai so arrive much faster than some others even if sometimes a little bit costlier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCDC-Converter-Power-Supply-12V-24V-36V-48V-to-5V-9V-or-12V-Power-Module-/251397384110?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item3a8873a7ae

Plus inline fuse holder (using 3A not 30A fuse) :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-Blade-Fuse-Holder-LED-BLOWN-WARNING-Waterproof-30A-/170588278706?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b7da8fb2

Oh and are they really rubber banded on, or which proper fixings used?.. & please? Thanks, oops :)
They come with o-rings on the whole, which are OK but not always stable and the rubber rings can be pretty short-lived. Plus if you leave bike out in the sun with them mounted in Summer the rubber rapidly degrades (not an issue for this time of year though !).

You can make your own fixings, or this is compatible with most of the front magicshine T6 clone units :

Swivel mount for Magicshine / Inton / Fluxient / Starlight etc bike lights | eBay

Last edited:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I use one of these (9V version) for CREE and magicshine lights run off 36V battery. It's good for up to 3A and copes with a rear light plus a 3-CREE front light (even on high setting) fine. tch-warehouse are quick to dispatch and send from HK or Singapore, not Shanghai so arrive much faster than some others even if sometimes a little bit costlier.

DCDC Converter Power Supply 12V 24V 36V & 48V to 5V 9V or 12V Power Module | eBay

Plus inline fuse holder (using 3A not 30A fuse)
103Alex1, What rear light do you use at 9v to run off the 9v DCDC convertor?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
D

Deleted member 4366

Some useful info there, but I don't understand this from the start of the bike lights review, "Maybe people just like to boast about how much they spent on their lights, but to me, the major brands are a waste of money. You can buy brighter lights at a fraction of the cost. They are just as reliable, and if you ever need to replace a battery or any other part, they are much cheaper too.", when they don't review a single one of the bay lights that we've mentioned above. all the reviews are of branded lights.

I did see mention of the Cree T6 X-ML2 emitter. looks like I'll have to chuck all my lights when that's available.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Agreed and the lights he lists on ebay are pretty expensive ?

Jerry