Woosh Criticise my bike build and battery security concern

ebikeboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 11, 2019
Hello, i've just built my first ebike.

It has a 1500W 48V motor and a 52V 20AH Battery. I've been able to reach almost 35mph.
The brakes have magnetic sensors on each of them so the motor cuts out.
I've just installed torque arms on the rear (not on this picture) and I keep the controller in the bag on the rack.

So can you think of anyways you'd improve this?

Secondly, I kind of regret getting the battery I did as it's difficult to take off and reattach every time I go somewhere. It's heavy and difficult with the velcro straps.
So I wanted to improve this somehow.
In an ideal world I'd just keep it on there at all times but obviously there's a security concern with that.
Do you have any ideas as to how I could improve this situation? I was thinking maybe a battery box of some sort I could custom build? But i'm not sure how that would work.

Would love any feedback, positive or negative!

Thank you people of this forum.

20190303_212901.jpg

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Firstly, I should be very careful where you trumpet figures like 1500w, 35mph and 52v 'cos they're all illegal. Accurately the battery is probably 48v nominal though, and therefore arguably legal.
I think it'd be best to put a larger disc on the front and convert it to hydraulic, you're gonna need it !
Battery bag looks tidy and well secure to me, I certainly wouldn't be putting it in the back box, it's too high and too far back. Also not sure how long that bracket would last with the weight of a 20Ah on it.
If battery security bothers first thing I'd do is cover the logo that advertises what it is to the world.

Sorry it's not very supportive, it's just that I think you'd be better off with a moped or scooter.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
52v is 14s although sometimes labelled as 48v is incorrect as the nom capacity is not 48v of 13s.
For those speeds/power may be think of upgrading to quad actuating callipers and 201 rotors.

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Firstly, I should be very careful where you trumpet figures like 1500w, 35mph and 52v 'cos they're all illegal. Accurately the battery is probably 48v nominal though, and therefore arguably legal.

Sorry it's not very supportive, it's just that I think you'd be better off with a moped or scooter.
Well he has a moped, technically.

I think there is a logical place for a 25-30mph e commuter bike and if it kept on road I personally wouldn't have much of an issue with it. It's a lot slower and less dangerous than a car or even motor bike.

But off road 15mph is plenty and any more speed is frankly dangerous - especially given its likely weight.

The obviously logical thing would be to allow road e bikes to assist up to say 30 mph but restrict their use to roads only. At present road e bikes are of limited use as they add quite a bit of weight but can't offer any assistance at normal road speeds - they can just help on hills that would slow you to under 16 mph if you had a normal road bike. Which is pretty niche.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
But off road 15mph is plenty and any more speed is frankly dangerous - especially given its likely weight.
dont matter how heavy it is as if ur not fast enough you wont make the gaps :p

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So can you think of anyways you'd improve this?
you need to protect all the cables with something, like heat shrink sleeving
Exposed signal cables will lead to accidental damage (when you park the bike or when the bike falls over so run and tie the cables to the inside of the frame wherever possible to reduce the risk), water damage and vandalism. Exposed power lines will increase the probability of short circuit.

others have already made valid points about the bike itself.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I suppose it's cold where you ride at the moment.. Keep an eye on the controller temperature when summer comes, as they like to have some airflow.

A smaller battery won't have the reserve current you need to go fast, so I think you would miss your battery should you downsize.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If battery security is important, get rid of the bag and make a box that you can fix to the frame with brackets and bolts. It's not difficult to make a box out of plywood or GRP.