Crossfire-e dumped for Crossfuse!

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Tried alsorts. Took it back to shop. I have one coming into evans store later in week....and going to ask them to fit it. If i attached top arms first it was slanted and too close to seat for bag to sit comfortably
There are so many topeak racks I can't remember which one I ordered. I got Halfords to order it and fit it. As it happens I don't think it's one specially made for disk brakes but it still fits with good clearance. I wanted the one that took clip on ortleibs panniers and their own track mounted carrier bag. I also thought I would want the one with the spring loaded clip but in truth the slide in bag is so useful that I always go out with it on. The stays on mine are long enough but I don't know why Topeak want to make them in bright shiny silver when the rack is matt black. Mine are going to get painted with hammerite when I can be bothered.
Mike

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Ive just checked mine and it says Supertourist DX and it is definitely NOT a special disk version. Here's a picture of the front mounting arms. I assume these came with the rack but it's possible that Halfords found the supplied ones too short and found some longer ones .... I guess

Wendy S

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2017
Cardiff
To be honest, I didn't even try that hard! I think the fact that I had so many issues and I remained a good sport about it all helped me there.

With the final cut out in front of the staff was it though, I did get angry with the bike. The poor staff member didn't really know what to say lol I knew i was in my rights to get a refund as it was within 28 days but they never questioned it anyway.

I thought I was only going to get the 20% off on all the extras but when ringing it all up he was like "you can have them for free as a good will gesture" I was very thankful lol

I know Halfords seems to get a bit of hard time on this forum but I've never had a single issue with them. I've got all 5 of my bikes from them over the years and the service has always been good!

Just without a bike at the moment which sucks :(
I agree with you, Halfords have always been great for me. I took out the three year service contract with them, £80 -10% British Cycling discount and have had a few things done to the bike (change of handlebar, mudguard fitted, a couple of tubes change after punctures and the slime I had installed to stop them), i have only paid for the parts (10% discount) as all the labour is included in my contract. I look forward to my 1st service in the summer. My Crossfuse has given me good service, only the couple of punctures. Since I had the slime put in 2 months ago I have had no problems and haven't even had to pump my tyres. Shout out for Halfords on Western Avenue, Cardiff.

Reactions: Eagleowl

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
I have just bought the Topeak Rack from Halfords for my Crossfuse. It was labelled as fits any disc frame. However, it came with M5 screws, which was fine as the majority of screw fittings on the Crossfuse are M5. But on the lower screws by the back wheel has M6 fittings. So I went to screwfix and bought 50 M6 screws as they only come in packs of 50.

I then found out that the fittings on the Pannier Rack were not big enough for the M6 screws. So I needed to drill out my Panniers to make them fit the M6. What a pain. A 5 minute job to fit ended up taking 3 days to sort out.

Anyway - all fits now. Just be aware of this issue if you are fitting your own Topeak Pannier to a Crossfuse.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I have just bought the Topeak Rack from Halfords for my Crossfuse. It was labelled as fits any disc frame. However, it came with M5 screws, which was fine as the majority of screw fittings on the Crossfuse are M5. But on the lower screws by the back wheel has M6 fittings. So I went to screwfix and bought 50 M6 screws as they only come in packs of 50.

I then found out that the fittings on the Pannier Rack were not big enough for the M6 screws. So I needed to drill out my Panniers to make them fit the M6. What a pain. A 5 minute job to fit ended up taking 3 days to sort out.

Anyway - all fits now. Just be aware of this issue if you are fitting your own Topeak Pannier to a Crossfuse.
Haha - sorry you had that trouble. I ordered mine through Halfords and they fitted it. They did say they had had a bit of chew.
Mike

Musket

Aug 2, 2019
I have a crossfire, bought about two months ago.

It really is a good bike and to date, Halfords have been fine. Other than trying to sell me a kick stand that didn't fit, (I bought one on Amazon that fitted the holes in the frame perfectly.)

The Halfords pannier rack fits perfectly, (I assume there must be another one that doesn't?) and the Beavertail mudguards seem ok after a holiday in Scotland touring Cairngorms and Loch Tay areas.

I did put some slightly more off-road tyres on for the holiday and since kept them on as they are fine on road (Marathon Tour), pedals that don't slip off with my big feet, an adjustable handlebar stem, suspension post and comfy saddle too. To be fair, none of the other bikes I had looked at had all the bits I have since fitted.

The bike went back the other week for a complimentary service (I can do my own but they put a one year package into the price) and other than slightly clunky changing down under load uphill, (adjusting hasn't improved it) I cannot fault the bike in any way.

Reactions: Eagleowl

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I did put some slightly more off-road tyres on for the holiday and since kept them on as they are fine on road (Marathon Tour), pedals that don't slip off with my big feet, an adjustable handlebar stem, suspension post and comfy saddle too. To be fair, none of the other bikes I had looked at had all the bits I have since fitted......
Can you remember exactly which adjustable handlebar stem you fitted? (And was it easy?)
Thanks
Mike

Musket

Aug 2, 2019
Can you remember exactly which adjustable handlebar stem you fitted? (And was it easy?)
Thanks
Mike
Sorry for the delay, I only just noticed your post.

It was this one

It took a few minutes to fit, removing the post top bolt, undoing the clamp bolts holding on the bars and reverse the process. To be fair, once I had the handlebars as I wanted them, I had to slacken and pull round the fittings on the handlebars such as brake levers etc.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Sorry for the delay, I only just noticed your post.

It was this one

It took a few minutes to fit, removing the post top bolt, undoing the clamp bolts holding on the bars and reverse the process. To be fair, once I had the handlebars as I wanted them, I had to slacken and pull round the fittings on the handlebars such as brake levers etc.
Thanks Musket. I went for one of the simple extension tubes. It's lifted the bars by about 60 or 70mm and all the cables still worked fine, and I didn;t have to rotate any of the levers. Haven't done a long trip yet but it does feel more comfortable so I have high hopes.
Mike