Cube Acid Hybrid 400w

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex
So, having been away for a while I'm back with a new bike. Previous was a Cytronex conversion that I used and abused for about 4 years, gradually getting fitter to the point that the assist was not needed. fast forwards a couple of years and the abuse to the hub motor meant that graunching noises and abuse to me means that I'm back and unfit again... I used to cycle to work each day (rain, shine or snow - even having studded tyres for the proper bits of winter) but now my kids have grown and are now at school I need the car to pick them up from nursery, hence why I stopped. I did use the Cytronex to pull a trailer and also to pull the kids on their bikes with a FollowMe tandem as well as hacking through Epping Forest so not surprised that the hub went..

After looking around the Acid seemed to be the best buy; decent kit and the new Gen3 motor. I've the 23" frame which is pretty big.. I maybe could have gone with a 21" but time will tell. Ordered from Evans due to discount code and took 2 weeks to ship. It was a tossup between this or the SL500 but for the extra grand I just couldn't justify it. Gave it some serious consideration for the CX line motor and the eMTB mode but when I thought about how often I would use the bike my head won over my heart..

First observations:
  • They forgot to add any pedals (and yes, their website does say that they are supplied!) so my old Saints or DMX can get transferred over.
  • Charger is the 2A jobbbie with the wrong plug so clearly an EU pack.
  • Seat post hole seems to have the same cable as a poster some time ago observed
  • Seems to be an extra cable coming out of the top of the frame thats not connected to anything
  • Not as heavy as I expected
  • Well packed by Evans
Battery is on charge so will try to get out later for a spin..

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I have ended up with a similar specced (slightly less) bike as yours but the Carrera Crossfuse. If I hadn't plunged in and bought the Crossfire without doing the serious research, I would have gone for the Cube Acid Hybrid, but because of problems with my Crossfire I just upgraded within Halfords own range.
The point that struck me about the Crossfuse is like you say above not as heavy as I expected. If you look at the quoted weights on paper the Crossfuse and Crossfire should be similar, but the Fuse seems several kg lighter to me.
Mine too was supplied with the 2amp charger which irritated me at first, but now I think the extra portability is worth having. If I'm touring somewhere, I'm always going to have 6.5 hours to charge it up. And first few rides are indicating I should get 90+ miles from a charge as long as I'm not riding in the Cleveland Hills or The Pennines.
Well pleased with the Active Plus motor.
Mike

Reactions: TobyAnscombe

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Same here but in 500 ;)
I ordered mine last year, months before they were available, on the strength of Bosch's description of the motor and previously owned a earlier model Bosch/cube. I'm not dissapointed.
Just over 300 miles and I'm still smiling :cool:

UK plug should be supplied as a legal requirement

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex
Photo of the random cable and internally routed seat post cable.

Just done 9km round the village, mix of tarmac, fire road and fields - really easy and I can feel the difference in modes. Gearing isn’t as slick as I’d like but it’s good enough to not change (yet) and I can tell it’s a Suntour fork rather than Rockshox.

Frame feels nice and spacious, nice wide bars for control. Nothing to dislike given it’s an entry level mass market bike. My tyres need sorting (too much psi) and the fork needs a bit tuning but really happy. Given it’s a grand for the next step up I’m happy with the cheaper option!!

Attachments

Shurm

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2018
I've got the same bike but 500 the cable is for a seat post dropper the cables in there and thats the same cable your seeing at the front. Mine poked out a bit but on the first service they have tidied it up so its not visible now.

• Informative

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I had the same cable in the seatpost tube but it wasn't long enough to exit the frame near the head. I don't need it so pulled it out ;)

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Photo of the random cable and internally routed seat post cable.

Just done 9km round the village, mix of tarmac, fire road and fields - really easy and I can feel the difference in modes. Gearing isn’t as slick as I’d like but it’s good enough to not change (yet) and I can tell it’s a Suntour fork rather than Rockshox.

Frame feels nice and spacious, nice wide bars for control. Nothing to dislike given it’s an entry level mass market bike. My tyres need sorting (too much psi) and the fork needs a bit tuning but really happy. Given it’s a grand for the next step up I’m happy with the cheaper option!!
My Suntour forks are the NEX - no obvious way to adjust the preload but I need to as it's 27% without any luggage
Mike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
My Suntour forks are the NEX - no obvious way to adjust the preload but I need to as it's 27% without any luggage
Mike
those forks are at best to get you going so id look for some fox or rock shox air so you can adjust them as needed.

the difference will be night and day as what you have is a coil spring and not really serviceable so a bin job when they do go.

and as it is a ebike doing lots of miles it prob wont be long.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeS

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
those forks are at best to get you going so id look for some fox or rock shox air so you can adjust them as needed.

the difference will be night and day as what you have is a coil spring and not really serviceable so a bin job when they do go.

and as it is a ebike doing lots of miles it prob wont be long.
would they be straight shoe-ins in place of the Suntours?
Mike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it has a tapered steerer then just get one to fit the size wheels you have.

tho if buying 2nd hand you must make sure the steerer tube is long enough to fit ur bike stem spacers ect.

• Agree

Andy Holden

Just Joined
Jul 20, 2018
Bootle
Hi just got my Cube Hybrid 400 today loving it so far! Used to ride a lot when I was young and thin but haven’t done much recently until we bought a motorhome and our friends turned up with their electric bikes. I was so impressed I had to get one. After loads of research I decided on this one just done ten miles to work and back although you still have to put a fair bit of effort into it it’s so much easier than my old non electric bike.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Mike
NEX forks have progressive pre-load. Lever up = full suspension, Lever down = full lockout. As you swivel the lever from full sus around to full lock, the pre-load progressively adds tension between the two settings.