Cube acid one 500

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg New this weekend my Cube acid one 500 from Rutland cycles (Pitsford) the first thing you notice is how green it is in the flesh, in your face GREEN but that's cool as its not a dull bike.

Despite the 6 month wait ( cubes fault not the shop) and my personal situation, I'm very pleased with the purchase.
Before I can ride any bike in comfort I need to make a few mods.
The nice guys at Pitsford fitted my 3" rise bars (upright riding better for bad back)
Once home whilst the battery was charging I set about the crank arms by shortening them to 160mm and using my dropped pedels. ( shorter cranks better for my knee arthritis)( I do have a pr of short Isis cranks from my last cube but Bosch have a new interface this year)
while I was tinkering I fitted a pr of 2.5" big apples and my NCX seat post for even more rider comfort.

First ride !
I rode 35 miles, a mix of back roads and dusty trails, up and down the assist levels to see how it performs, when I got home I still had 3 of the 5 battery bars left !

Unlike the original active motor (1st gen) & CX motor (2nd gen) this 3rd generation Bosch motor is direct drive, there's no internal gearing to slow you down when the powers off. This makes for a more natural ride, yes your still riding a heavy bike but it doesn't feel like your constantly going up hill and it's easier to pass the cutoff speed.
Out on the open road under power it felt just like my first cube with the active line plus motor (1st gen) perhaps the pickup was a little smoother along with the gradual cutoff at top assist.
I rode my usual trails including a longish steep rocky farm track, in turbo the motor pulled me up no problem and the suspension forks along with my fat tyres made it smoother than I remembered. Short of taking on some proper mountain trails I can't see a need for any more power, this motor has plenty.

One ride in and the cube has met and exceeded my expectations.

Oh a little parking tip I just remembered.
If like me you lean your bike handlebars against a wall or fence and then find the bike rolls a bit and loses balance, a rubber band around the hand grip and brake leaver is enough to stop the bike rolling.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I love the brake tip I agree big apples are the way to go and the seat post is a boon :cool: the is no chance of the I did not see you comment love the colour

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
View attachment 25070 View attachment 25071 View attachment 25072 View attachment 25073 View attachment 25074 New this weekend my Cube acid one 500 from Rutland cycles (Pitsford) the first thing you notice is how green it is in the flesh, in your face GREEN but that's cool as its not a dull bike.
When I was looking for a bike around the end of last year, I did see an Acid in a bike shop and really liked the colour. Can't now remember all the reasons for deciding against, but long wait was certainly one of them.

(Was quite pleased when I switched to choosing a Giant that it too was green - though more black and green. But I like it.)

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Hi Gringo, this looks a very interesting bike with the new active line Bosch motor. It will be interesting to get your experiences as an owner going forward.

I have not experienced one myself but like the look of them and like the reports that they are a very quiet motor in operation.

I also like the fact that it uses a traditional size chainring and is direct drive.

I did not want the equivalent of an electric motor bike when I bought my bike and like having to put effort into riding an electric bike and am impressed by how sophisticated torque sensor (rather than throttle/cadense sensor) bikes makes you put the effort in to get the assistance they provide.

I use a 2015 sDuro Yamaha PU to commute to work with a lot of off road and find that although the motor was rated among the most powerful legal crank motors when I bought the bike I only use eco off road and enjoy that I can pedal the bike with the motor off with no apparent drag from the motor.

As you correctly say, you are still pedaling a heavy bike, but somehow having no apparent drag from the motor makes for a better motor off experience.

The most power I use on the road is the middle assist level of the three I have, standard, to get me up the steeper hills I encounter on my road route home quicker.

My Yamaha PU does not have interrupt technology when changing gear and I have learnt to be careful in order to get a reasonable milage out of the highest two gears of my rear cassette. I assume the new bosch motor has interrupt technology.

Although I love my Yamaha Haibike it is for me a tool rather than a leisure vehicle to enable me to ride a bike to work and back carrying what I need in panniers rather than driving my car and allowing me to get some much needed exercise as part of a working day where I have to sit down nearly all the time.

As such I want it to last a few years and provide some value for the money I spent before I change it. I plan to retire in just over three years time and hope it can last until then. That may be a tall order but time will tell. I have covered 9338 miles on it so far, am stilll using the original battery and am on my second motor that was replaced under warranty after 6000 miles after I wore out the main bearing. So other than wear and tear parts I have not had to shell out for anything else so far and am now in my fourth year of ownership.

I actually like the look of the cheapest least powerful Bosch active line motor because it is the quietest and because I have learnt that I rarely use the higher power levels available to me and really like quite motors.

Unfortunately I don't think they have put this motor in a mountain bike.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Gringo how does Plus compare to original activeline on hill climbs?.
Humm it's been over 7 months since my last ride on my 2014 active line cube.
Put me on the spot and I'd struggle to tell the difference in power, neither motor left me wanting more, however the new motor just feals nicer to ride.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Well I've done 203 happy miles, but now the bike has a clunk when riding bumpy trails and there's backlash going from freewheeling to drive with an audible clunk that wasn't there when I first got the bike :(
I'll be visiting the shop tomorrow (Monday) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
So I took the bike over to the shop, as you might expect it didn't clunk no matter how hard I tried ;)
My backlash is no better or worse than another new cube/bosh in the showroom,
Anywho I left the bike with them for a day just too have a look see.
24 hrs later a few nuts tightened, fittings checked, but no fault found.
Since then I've been on an 18 mile group ride with out a single sound, I can't remember just when on the ride but by the time I was home, I'd completely forgot to listen for any clunking.

I'm a happy bunny again :cool:

On a completely different note.
What's with matte paint, do we actually want it in preference to gloss or do we just take what's given.
Personally after living with a matte green bike for three weeks and finding even a little chain grease dosent just wipe off, matte takes more effort to keep clean than shiny :(
With that in mind a little "T-cut" and 2 hrs spare Wednesday afternoon, I now have a shiny green bike :cool:

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
View attachment 25070 View attachment 25071 View attachment 25072 View attachment 25073 View attachment 25074 New this weekend my Cube acid one 500 from Rutland cycles (Pitsford) the first thing you notice is how green it is in the flesh, in your face GREEN but that's cool as its not a dull bike.

Despite the 6 month wait ( cubes fault not the shop) and my personal situation, I'm very pleased with the purchase.
Before I can ride any bike in comfort I need to make a few mods.
The nice guys at Pitsford fitted my 3" rise bars (upright riding better for bad back)
Once home whilst the battery was charging I set about the crank arms by shortening them to 160mm and using my dropped pedels. ( shorter cranks better for my knee arthritis)( I do have a pr of short Isis cranks from my last cube but Bosch have a new interface this year)
while I was tinkering I fitted a pr of 2.5" big apples and my NCX seat post for even more rider comfort.

First ride !
I rode 35 miles, a mix of back roads and dusty trails, up and down the assist levels to see how it performs, when I got home I still had 3 of the 5 battery bars left !

Unlike the original active motor (1st gen) & CX motor (2nd gen) this 3rd generation Bosch motor is direct drive, there's no internal gearing to slow you down when the powers off. This makes for a more natural ride, yes your still riding a heavy bike but it doesn't feel like your constantly going up hill and it's easier to pass the cutoff speed.
Out on the open road under power it felt just like my first cube with the active line plus motor (1st gen) perhaps the pickup was a little smoother along with the gradual cutoff at top assist.
I rode my usual trails including a longish steep rocky farm track, in turbo the motor pulled me up no problem and the suspension forks along with my fat tyres made it smoother than I remembered. Short of taking on some proper mountain trails I can't see a need for any more power, this motor has plenty.

One ride in and the cube has met and exceeded my expectations.

Oh a little parking tip I just remembered.
If like me you lean your bike handlebars against a wall or fence and then find the bike rolls a bit and loses balance, a rubber band around the hand grip and brake leaver is enough to stop the bike rolling.
Interesting about your shortened cranks. After a new knee I couldn't bend it more than 90 degrees so was obliged to have a high saddle and shorten the cranks by around 20mm. In my case I sent them (both sides) to an engineering firm in Wales. Still have to start up by standing on one peddle, get going then hoist myself up on the saddle. Bit like the way the Dutch get on their bikes!

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Interesting about your shortened cranks. After a new knee I couldn't bend it more than 90 degrees so was obliged to have a high saddle and shorten the cranks by around 20mm. In my case I sent them (both sides) to an engineering firm in Wales. Still have to start up by standing on one peddle, get going then hoist myself up on the saddle. Bit like the way the Dutch get on their bikes!
A dropper post would help with stop starts, but you will have to forgo a suspension seat post

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
A dropper post would help with stop starts, but you will have to forgo a suspension seat post
I wouldn't need a suspension seat as my bike is a full suss one. I am pretty sure that dropper seats for full suspension bikes are pretty expensive, not far short of what I paid for the bike! I did try my mates new Cube fitted with one but had to get it up pretty quick after mounting (it had a remote switch) in order to pedal before falling off! With my present set up I can take my time by using the throttle.

Sportsman

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2018
I am waiting for mine to arrive i went for the black one it should be here this week going by your comments it looks to be a decent e bike i cant wait to get mine, what mode do you mostly use by the way !

So I took the bike over to the shop, as you might expect it didn't clunk no matter how hard I tried ;)
My backlash is no better or worse than another new cube/bosh in the showroom,
Anywho I left the bike with them for a day just too have a look see.
24 hrs later a few nuts tightened, fittings checked, but no fault found.
Since then I've been on an 18 mile group ride with out a single sound, I can't remember just when on the ride but by the time I was home, I'd completely forgot to listen for any clunking.

I'm a happy bunny again :cool:

On a completely different note.
What's with matte paint, do we actually want it in preference to gloss or do we just take what's given.
Personally after living with a matte green bike for three weeks and finding even a little chain grease dosent just wipe off, matte takes more effort to keep clean than shiny :(
With that in mind a little "T-cut" and 2 hrs spare Wednesday afternoon, I now have a shiny green bike :cool:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
what mode do you mostly use by the way
All of them
No but seriously, there's no " best mode " I'm up and down modes all the while, sports and turbo for pulling away in traffic, tour, eco and off if I'm enjoying a slower leasurly bimble around country lanes and when I'm on bridalways I might be using tour and sport. It all depends on where your riding and How fast you want to go.
This morning I stuck to sports all the way for a quick 7 miles to work (cycle path)
I came home the long way, 15 miles of mixed bridalway and woodland trail and used all the modes.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
what lock do you use by the way
Whilst it's in my locked garage I use a kryptonite "D" lock & wall Anchor, at work a heavyweight chain & lock ( I work in converted farm buildings up a private road in the countryside )
The rest of the time I'm riding it,
occasionally I do stop for refreshments, then I use a 1meter light cable and small padlock, 1m is long enough to loop around most anything and enough too stop a casual thief, I also try to keep line of sight with the bike.
Similar to this but mine is only 2mm cable.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Breakaway-Cable-Towing-Ifor-Williams-Plant-Trailer-or-Caravan-UK-Made/132681713402?hash=item1ee47246fa:g:EGoAAOSwPCVX464Q
I don't leave it anywhere for more than a few mins and not even that long if I don't like the area.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've been going analog for a couple of flat rides so the E-Cube has had a little rest, untill Saturday !
Hot, Yes but I was getting withdrawal symptoms so had to get out, I thought I'm not messing with assistance levels in this heat so dialled in sports mode and off I went. On the way out, 14 miles of quiet twisty lanes with plenty of ups and downs. I found I was holding 16/17 mph and dropping to 14/15 up hill. A turn around brings me home in the oposit direction but on even quieter roads and bridalways, there was also a head wind so I went turbo all the way home ;)
Much to my surprise, after 28 miles in sports & turbo I had 3 bars left on the display, I'd only used two fifths of the power available, sweet :cool:
Just for a little iceing on my happy cake, it's been over 100 miles since I last heard a clunk :)

Sportsman

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2018
I was out on mine the weekend and when I turn the bike when I a m doing about 18mph I get a clicking noise like something is hitting a spoke or something cannot find were the noise is coming from but its annoying as hell

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I did 21 miles on my Crossfuse (bosch active Plus ) on the same kind of roads as the above poster did 38 miles. I too used lots of different modes and was astounded when it seems I had only used a little over 20% of the battery (in eco mode the remaining range was 73 miles and in my limited expereince the calculator is being conservative)
I did have one 'bad' experience the next day - after a long slog up a steepish hill in the Dales - only in Tour and Sport modes though - I came to a VERY steep final bit and the bike failed to make it even in Turbo mode so I had to get off and push. After resting at the top for a while, I went back down this steep section and tried it again in Turbo mode and in 1st gear, and I made it reasonably easily. It is possible that the first time I was accidentally in second gear, but I wonder whether the Bosch system (like the Suntour system) will throttle back on the assistance if the motor has been doing a sustained high workload and is then asked to do more. Anyone else experienced this?
Mike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I did 21 miles on my Crossfuse (bosch active Plus ) on the same kind of roads as the above poster did 38 miles. I too used lots of different modes and was astounded when it seems I had only used a little over 20% of the battery (in eco mode the remaining range was 73 miles and in my limited expereince the calculator is being conservative)
I did have one 'bad' experience the next day - after a long slog up a steepish hill in the Dales - only in Tour and Sport modes though - I came to a VERY steep final bit and the bike failed to make it even in Turbo mode so I had to get off and push. After resting at the top for a while, I went back down this steep section and tried it again in Turbo mode and in 1st gear, and I made it reasonably easily. It is possible that the first time I was accidentally in second gear, but I wonder whether the Bosch system (like the Suntour system) will throttle back on the assistance if the motor has been doing a sustained high workload and is then asked to do more. Anyone else experienced this?
Mike
no you were just in the wrong gear, if you want to climb steep hills then get a smaller front sprocket.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
You may be right Soundwave. But I don't think I need a smaller front cog as it went up the very steep part OK on the second attempt. I will do some more experiments.
BTW - Don't know about you other Active Line Plus owners, but I'm not totally convinced about the 'sensing' function for gear changes. In normal riding it's often pretty clunky and if it's under a big load (like that long hill) then it seems to be counterproductive. I can feel the power drop but it seems to come AFTER the gear change, lasts too long and then the motor has to struggle to get back up to decent assistance (all this happens over maybe half to three quarters of a second).
Mike
PS sounds like I'm being unduly critical of the motor but I'm not intending to be - these aren't complaints really just observations. The motor feels much more natural that the Crossfire/Suntour hub bike that I have just swapped it for.