Cube Touring Hybrid One 500 2019 or Cube Touring Hybrid 500 2019

Shropshire Fred

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2013
Hi. Am looking to buy one of the above bikes. The first costs £1800 and the second £2,200. Specs seems similar - though the cheaper one has Purion and the dearer one Intuvia. Wanted for day rides round the Lake District with lots of hills and occasional touring holidays. Any thoughts on either of these bikes? Thanks

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I got the Cube Touring 500 2019 Iridium version - 9 speed but with suspension seat post and Intuvia controller etc. from a B&M shop for £1570 just before Xmas, so those prices look a little steep to me.

You can look at my review on here or on my youtube channel.

Both are very solid bikes.

Shropshire Fred

Apr 7, 2013
I got the Cube Touring 500 2019 Iridium version - 9 speed but with suspension seat post and Intuvia controller etc. from a B&M shop for £1570 just before Xmas, so those prices look a little steep to me.

You can look at my review on here or on my youtube channel.

Both are very solid bikes.
Thanks. I do find the multiplicity of Cube ebikes somewhat confusing when trying to choose.

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Shropshire Fred,
I agree, it is very confusing.
Basically the difference comes down to which individual components are used and their quality grade.
This was covered in this earlier thread:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/first-ebike-cube-touring-hybrid-one-hybrid-or-reaction-hybrid-one-or-something-else.34013/

You need to sit down with a cup of tea or something stronger. Then print off the Cube specs for each bike and use a marker pen to highlight the major differences.

Cube Touring Hybrid One 500 2019:
https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/e-bikes/trekking/tour/touring/cube-touring-hybrid-one-500-blacknblue-2019/

Cube Touring Hybrid 500 2019:
https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/e-bikes/trekking/tour/touring/cube-touring-hybrid-500-greynorange-2019/

You could always buy the cheaper one and then add a Cobi if that suited you:
https://cobi.bike/
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Cobi-Bike-Bosch-eBikes?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz4vDmK-g4QIV65PtCh0__wAMEAQYASABEgL5jfD_BwE

Last edited:
Reactions: Stumac62

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just get the one you like spec wise bar the display and extra waight there both the same.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you just unlock it from the frame and lift it of the bike.

E-Zee Riders

Mar 12, 2019
Fred. If you plan to take on some steep hills it might be an idea to look at a bike with the Bosch Performance CX motor such as the Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 500 or the Haibike SDuro Trekking 3.0.

The other Cube bikes you mention have the Bosch Active Plus motor which has less torque - which might be needed to get up the hills.

I would find a local bike shop that lets you test ride the bikes and take them to the steepest local hills....

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Fred. If you plan to take on some steep hills it might be an idea to look at a bike with the Bosch Performance CX motor such as the Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 500 or the Haibike SDuro Trekking 3.0.

The other Cube bikes you mention have the Bosch Active Plus motor which has less torque - which might be needed to get up the hills.

I would find a local bike shop that lets you test ride the bikes and take them to the steepest local hills....
The CX will get you up steeper hills but it's not zero resist, so you are not going to get the insane range on relaxed tours the ALP will give you.

The ALP with total weight of 125kg got me up Werneth Low (which tops out at 14% I think) whilst dropping my heart rate down from 160 to 150, so unless you are incredibly heavy, unfit/infirm or tackling monster inclines you won't need the CX.

And if you use the Cube Touring as it's designed, you can get insane real world range out of it.

I used it for a tour up to the Longendale Trail this weekend. Two and a half hours, 36km and 2000 feet of elevation and it didn't budge the battery down from 5 bars.

It finally dropped to 80% about halfway into my 20km commute this morning (when I'm flogging along more or less on permanent 100% boost in Tour mode).

The real world difference zero resist makes is hard to underestimate. You can use a Cube Touring as just a well built if heavy normal touring bike and only call on the motor when you want a speed boost, or to help on a hill or into a headwind or on a heavy surface, or when you are tired or you want to drop your heart rate. Used like that you can explore more or less anywhere all day with no range anxiety....

Last edited:

Stumac62

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2019
Hi. Andy you got a really good deal on your bike didn't you.

Lowest price I can find for the Touring Hybrid 500 is £2,199 and the Pro for £2,399.

I've looked at a lot of websites and given myself a headache!!

Cheers,
Stu.

Reactions: Shropshire Fred

Stumac62

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2019

Stumac62

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2019
Look for the 2018 Iridium n Black edition.
Here is one:
https://www.jejamescycles.com/cube-touring-one-400-easy-access-hybrid-bike-2018.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwm-fkBRBBEiwA966fZNyqezWnKzXseH7wgKmuWWMTTVbIhdrYOB8cQoTtMQ67NdBZgLpgCRoCLIEQAvD_BwE

£1439. Only 400 battery but an absolute bargain IMHO. Intuvia and suspension seat post. Fully kitted out.
Hi Andy. Thanks for that. Unfortunately thats the easy access version and 58cm only.

I will keep looking.

Thanks,
Stu.

Shropshire Fred

Apr 7, 2013
Hi. Andy you got a really good deal on your bike didn't you.

Lowest price I can find for the Touring Hybrid 500 is £2,199 and the Pro for £2,399.

I've looked at a lot of websites and given myself a headache!!

Cheers,
Stu.
Found the same. Will shop locally so get the aftercare if anything goes wrong.

Reactions: Eagle and Stumac62

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I recommend you phone or call into Race.co cycles of Stourbridge. Tell them what you want. You will get good advice (well me and my brother both did) and then ask them if they can do you a good deal - you may well find them helpful on this. They are genuine people and helpful. I have no connection with this shop other than I bought my ebike from them. I took my brother there a couple of days ago. He had spent quite a time looking at various ebikes at various shops and bought one on his first visit to Race.co. The most difficult part is finding how to get to their shop - you can see it from the ring road but you need a map to navigate your way to it. I think they had a touring in stock but I couldn't tell you which version.

I've got a Cube Acid with the Active Line Plus motor and I reckon it is very good on hills. See https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/can-an-active-line-plus-climb.34241/#post-493441 . My brother bought the Reaction with bigger tyres and a CX motor but that is more than I need. If you go on trails more than roads the Acid is great. I have the Allroad version with mudguards and lights and moderately big tyres.

Last edited: