Help! CUBE Touring Hybrid Pro 500 - v - CUBE Touring Hybrid 500

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
I think i have narrowed my purchase down to either the CUBE Touring Hybrid Pro 500 - or - CUBE Touring Hybrid 500.

Looking at spec's it seems to be the following that are different;

500:
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore RD-M592-SGS, 9-Speed
Shifters - Shimano SL-M2000, Rapidfire-Plus
Chain - KMC X9
Cassette - Shimano CS-HG200, 11-34T
Front hub - Shimano HB-TX505, QR, Centerlock
Rear hub - Shimano FH-TX505, QR, Centerlock
Tyres - Schwalbe Range Cruiser, Active, K-Guard, 47-622

Pro 500;
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore RD-M6000-DGS, ShadowPlus, 10-Speed
Shifters - Shimano Deore SL-M6000, Rapidfire-Plus
Chain - KMC X10
Cassette - Shimano Deore CS-HG500, 11-42T
Front hub - Shimano Deore HB-M6000, QR, Centerlock
Rear hub - Shimano Deore FH-M6000, QR, Centerlock
Tyres - Schwalbe Marathon GT Tour, Performance, Dualguard, 47-622

Is it worth the £200 difference in going for the Pro?

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I'd say the the 10 speed and wider gearing will be handy if you are going up steep hills (but if you ever need to replace chain + cassette it will be a little more expensive).
The Range Cruisers will need replacing with Marathons anyway so that's £50 of the £200 saved.

Do either/both have a suspension seatpost or Intuvia Display?

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
Hmm.. Im going to have to come at this from a different direction I think.. Every time i think i have narrowed down the search to a bike I want I find nobody holds any stock.. :-(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
2020 bikes will start to come out in October so limited numbers are made esp in xl.

iRider

Pedelecer
May 2, 2019
Wigan
2020 bikes will start to come out in October so limited numbers are made esp in xl.
Clearly the 'just in time' build and shipping process has not worked its way into the bike industry just yet then.. A shortage or bikes in April/May because new models start coming out in October is absolutely ludicrous.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it just depends how many of each is made for the lower end models and its not like you can but a frame batt motor combo yet.

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
The 200 increase seems merited, but is it needed? Is this for commuting? Road conditions? Distance per year?
The pro is equipped with components that would be more for long distance touring and maybe some poor road conditions (gravel, trails)

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
The only really noticeable difference is going to be the 42 tooth cassette. This will be better on very steep hills but I have the same 11-34 cassette with ALP motor on my Acid and find it to be most satisfactory on all the hills I have hit so far, and some of those have been very steep indeed. My brother has an 11-42 on his Reaction (with a CX motor) and has yet to need the 42 tooth cog. I reckon you will be very happy with either but if you have the extra £200 easily available then why not go for the slightly better equipment?
Sorry the above probably doesn't help your decision.

Kenno

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 6, 2018
I'm in the same boat as you looking at these two bikes. Having come from a race reaction with the cx motor I was a bit worried I'd miss that hit of the higher torque, but when riding, the Active line plus seemed to be fine, and the geometry and comfort of the bike was superb. Note also that the pro also gives you an air fork, with lockout which the one does not. I also found that there were certain other bits fitted to the pro, like adjustable stem and suspension post were variable on the one, along with a few one's having the purion fitted rather than the intuvia. Like you the main issue is actually finding one.