Cuocil Compensation...

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
Is it true that if your council doesn't repair the roads you can sue for damage caused by potholes? I just had to have a new rear wheel and tyre 'cos the old one splayed after going down a pothole on a road with stone sets that has needed fixing for forever.:(

Chris

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Is it true that if your council doesn't repair the roads you can sue for damage caused by potholes? I just had to have a new rear wheel and tyre 'cos the old one splayed after going down a pothole on a road with stone sets that has needed fixing for forever.:(
Yes-it is true.
It is also true that the rest of us will pay for your claim-so much for "Compensation Britian".
Chris:mad:

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
Yes-it is true.
It is also true that the rest of us will pay for your claim-so much for "Compensation Britian".
Chris:mad:
I dont know about you, but as a tax payer, and small business owner, I paid taxes so the roads would be maintained, and if the money wasn't used for that, I want what I paid back. (Notice I say what I paid. Not everyone's claim is a claim to get your tax money for themselves).

Chris

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I dont know about you, but as a tax payer, and small business owner, I paid taxes so the roads would be maintained, and if the money wasn't used for that, I want what I paid back. (Notice I say what I paid. Not everyone's claim is a claim to get your tax money for themselves).
I think you may do more good for the comunity by contacting the council and getting them to repair the ofending pothole.
Chris

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
in a past life as a photographer i was involved in quiet a few cases against the council, you must get pictures of the pot hole close up, and showing its position in relation to its surroundings, you could always include a daily paper in one of the shots to prove its a current picture.

mike

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
sorry to hear of your mishap branwen,i see you mention this hole has been there for some time now,meaning you were probably aware of it.the compensation culture is ruining this country,with various schools clubs etc,having to cancel events that have happened for many years,having to carry out costly risk assesments before realising the event is no longer viable,due to fears of being sued.it is becoming rediculous any person who has an accident,even if it was there own fault, is looking for someone to blame,and a cash handout,(sorry for my rant branwen,if you have a genuine case i wish you well).

Chris

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
sorry to hear of your mishap branwen,i see you mention this hole has been there for some time now,meaning you were probably aware of it.the compensation culture is ruining this country,with various schools clubs etc,having to cancel events that have happened for many years,having to carry out costly risk assesments before realising the event is no longer viable,due to fears of being sued.it is becoming rediculous any person who has an accident,even if it was there own fault, is looking for someone to blame,and a cash handout,(sorry for my rant branwen,if you have a genuine case i wish you well).
Thank god for a voice of reason:D
Chris

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
I have been trying to get this road sorted by the council for a long time. I used to volunteer 5 days a week at a local charity shop in the area and cannot get there without going down this road because of railway lines and such like, so they are now minus one much needed worker as I gave up volunteering there after the bike was damaged. This road is the only way in for all traffic unless you go 5 miles out of your way to avoid this stretch, and its made of stone sets which have subsided all over the place, leaving about 100 potholes in a mile. There are people who have been trying for ten years to get the council to do something about it, but unfotunately, cars manage fairly well along it, its just cyclists who have the bother, especially as it is also not wide enough to go around the potholes unless there is no traffic in both directions. I could get off and walk for the mile, except I am disabled and got an electric bike in the first place to avoid walking as much as possible. The money I would be likely to get from the council is a small amount for the effort involved in getting it, and is not the motivation for making a claim. I see it as a way to make the council decide it should be timetabled to be fixed sooner rather than later, and would happily advertise the fact that anyone having damage on that stretch also make a claim.
There is a claim culture these days, its true, but the system is devised to improve health and safety. To assume I am one of the people who have set out to abuse the system is fairly insulting, so if it makes any of those types happier, I can donate the money I gain to charity rather than have the thread descend into an argument about motives and morals. I've written a book for charity, do 25 hours a week in a different shop now, and in the past have done everything from a sponsored parachute jump to driving an open top bus for a charities open day, so getting my assumed grubby little paws on anyone's hard earned taxes to keep it for myself is not really my thing.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Branwen - this has nothing to do with the compensation culture but simple economics. The council spends more money on compensating for damage, than mending the roads. This is their choice and is obviously an economic decision. If the pot hole had been there for some time then it would be 'reasonable' for the council to repair it - especially if somebody had told them about it. If the hole had just appeared then you would find it difficult to get compensated for your loss.

Do not feel guilty about making a genuine claim as money is put aside for such an event. Obviously most people are not making claims but if they did the roads would be better maintained.

Chris

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Branwyn-it is good to hear that you are not one of the compensation grabbers-My presumption from reading your original post is obviously incorrect, but was based on your original phrasology;so apologies.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I have been trying to get this road sorted by the council for a long time. I used to volunteer 5 days a week at a local charity shop in the area and cannot get there without going down this road because of railway lines and such like, so they are now minus one much needed worker as I gave up volunteering there after the bike was damaged. This road is the only way in for all traffic unless you go 5 miles out of your way to avoid this stretch, and its made of stone sets which have subsided all over the place, leaving about 100 potholes in a mile. There are people who have been trying for ten years to get the council to do something about it, but unfotunately, cars manage fairly well along it, its just cyclists who have the bother, especially as it is also not wide enough to go around the potholes unless there is no traffic in both directions. I could get off and walk for the mile, except I am disabled and got an electric bike in the first place to avoid walking as much as possible. The money I would be likely to get from the council is a small amount for the effort involved in getting it, and is not the motivation for making a claim. I see it as a way to make the council decide it should be timetabled to be fixed sooner rather than later, and would happily advertise the fact that anyone having damage on that stretch also make a claim.
There is a claim culture these days, its true, but the system is devised to improve health and safety. To assume I am one of the people who have set out to abuse the system is fairly insulting, so if it makes any of those types happier, I can donate the money I gain to charity rather than have the thread descend into an argument about motives and morals. I've written a book for charity, do 25 hours a week in a different shop now, and in the past have done everything from a sponsored parachute jump to driving an open top bus for a charities open day, so getting my assumed grubby little paws on anyone's hard earned taxes to keep it for myself is not really my thing.
Hi Branwen

Well I think you certainly have a claim if the road is as bad as you say and I don't doubt it for a minute and I would just go for it if I were you and claim.
There was a bit on the news the other day about the state of our roads and the lack of maintenance on them.
I use a very busy 2 mile long stretch of road on my route to work and about six months ago they resurfaced it after many moans and after many ££££££'s
spent still could not get it right.
In the gutter, where me the poor old cyclist cycles, they did not raise the many drains to accomodate the very thick resurfacing. It runs adjacent to a pond/nature reserve. This resulted in a stop and start all the way to ease through the huge dips of the drain holes as it was not possible to go around due to traffic.
A month later they closed the road again for a week! to fix this error as I am sure cars suffered too :(
It must have cost them, sorry the general public, several thousands for their mistake in the first place and the money could probably have been used better elsewhere to make good other roads :mad:
Kindest Regards and keep up the good work as much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Mandy

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
...I think your advice would carry more weight Chris, if you placed 2 m's in "comunity" and 2 f's in "ofending"...:mad:
Reminds me of that scene in Local hero when the American oil man asks a local fisherman who is painting the words 'Silver Dolar' on his boat..
American oil man "Aren't there two l's in Dollar?".. and after a hard stare the
fisherman replies, "and aren't there two g's in bugger off!"
:D
BW
musicbooks

Advertisers