Curing a frame battery rattle

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I had an annoying rattle when travelling over bumpy ground, which I traced to the battery mounted in the frame.

It's this type:
Dolphin Battery.jpeg
The rattle occurs when the battery is mounted on the docking platform and the key is turned in the lock position. Although the protruding locking pin does a good job of securing the battery to the platform, it rattles up and down on rough ground.

Here is the battery with the locking pin retracted:

Battery Lock Shut.jpg

Here it is with the pin in the locking position:

Battery Lock Open.jpg

You can test if yours rattles, by turning the key to the lock position and removing the key. Then hold the battery the correct way up (as if it was mounted to the bike) and tap the locking pin with a finger.

Mine rattled like a bugger, and it took me many miles to track it down, after mistakenly thinking it was the headset or suspension forks.

Lesson learned, never assume it's the obvious :mad:

I cured mine with a piece of silicone tubing I had lying around in my toolbox:

Tube.jpg

I cut a piece off the end, just deep enough to fit in the locking pin hole in the docking platform.

I popped this piece into the locking pin hole:

Docking Plate.jpg

Now when I lock the battery to the docking platform, the piece of silicone tube puts just enough pressure on the locking pin to stop it from rattling around.

Happy days :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SpezElec and D C

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I put a velcro strap around it when I had a Chinese bottle battery. It stopped the risk of it jumping off on rough roads too.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
You can't beat lot tech solutions to low tech problems.
I wish the governments etc. would think on these lines.