Current Bike Theft Danger

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've just been listening on Radio 4 to a representative of a major insurer reporting a massive 46% increase in bicycle thefts in April and May, plus a report from a cyclist with a £4000 mountain bike who with two friends were threatened by two gangs in cars attempting to steal their expensive bikes by force while they were out riding.

Clearly the current boom in bicycle sales for leisure riding during lockdown and the recent fine weather has created an opening for the crooks, greatly increasing the possibility of loss, so it's time for special care.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
This is a major problem - round here there have been several thefts (and attempted thefts) where people have been attacked in parks and on canal paths in order to steal bikes. It is normally older kids trying to steal other kids bikes - but some have been adults

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've just been listening on Radio 4 to a representative of a major insurer reporting a massive 46% increase in bicycle thefts in April and May, plus a report from a cyclist with a £4000 mountain bike who with two friends were threatened by two gangs in cars attempting to steal their expensive bikes by force while they were out riding.

Clearly the current boom in bicycle sales for leisure riding during lockdown and the recent fine weather has created an opening for the crooks, greatly increasing the possibility of loss, so it's time for special care.
Do you have a link to this article ?
were the thieves successful and in what area did this happen ?
its of particular interest to me as I’m nearly always cycling alone, just two days ago I did a 62 mile ride on very quiet back roads and I’m now thinking do I need to ride “tooled up” :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you have a link to this article ?
were the thieves successful and in what area did this happen ?
its of particular interest to me as I’m nearly always cycling alone, just two days ago I did a 62 mile ride on very quiet back roads and I’m now thinking do I need to ride “tooled up” :eek:
The attempted theft by force was in the Stockport area, but it failed fortunately. The three of them cycled away as fast as they could and apparently took refuge by an Ice Cream van from what I'd heard, presumably with other people around, but I'd been interrupted so missed part of the report.

P.S. Just seen Amoto65's post about Manchester's incidence, so it seems that area is where they are operating.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018

Sadly, a valid reason to ride something more "cheap & cheerful"......
Andy

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
No such thing anymore second hand prices have gone through the roof and hardly any new bikes available.
That will change once COVID is gone and production ramps up!
For any good Home DIYer, cheap bikes are still available, like here:-
This is a solidly built, Chinese standard bike types, with many possible extras.
One must take into account import duties and Transport costs, on top of the prices mentioned.
I am sure that this company is not alone either! But I do not know of any others myself. Anyone considering such a purchase should do their own research first of course.
Andy

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
When I was planning my ride of the length of the Kennet & Avon canal I was warned to be particularly careful of the Bristol to Bath section, it was fine for me but there have been many cyclists mugged there.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Cheapest one they have in stock is over $700 before tax and shipping.
Who are you talking about?
If you meant Stark Bikes, you are converting the US Dollar very badly to UK pounds.....why?
Do remember, that only one of the offered Bikes is fully legal in the UK and Europe, the one with the 250 Watt motor, for US$399.
Though it might be possible to get one of the others "downgraded" motor wise........
I just checked online US$ to UK Pound, and a $399 bike, works out to be £320,96, without transport and import dues......
That happens to be the exact one I bought in 2017.
I got most of the extras and paid with everything around €930, or £839,79!
Till now, other than a heavy rain shower, that needed drying the throttle out in my lounge, no problems whatsoever!
Prices have increased since 2017, but not by the amount you mention or believe!!
Andy
PS for anyone who is an adequate DIYer, they are an excellent purchase, see here:- https://starkdrive.bike/

TravelsBelly

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2020
When I was planning my ride of the length of the Kennet & Avon canal I was warned to be particularly careful of the Bristol to Bath section, it was fine for me but there have been many cyclists mugged there.
What is Bristol like for crime? I saw recently that it has the highest incidents of bike theft in the UK. I've also seen quite a few things randomly that made me think it has a crime problem? Probably just some random stuff giving me a force impression of the place.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
If you meant Stark Bikes, you are converting the US Dollar very badly to UK pounds.....why?
Not converting anything, just reading what they have as current stock and their cheapest one is $735 It is easy to find just go on their website and look under stock!!!!!!!!

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
You neglected to mention that it was left over stock, as they offer various versions usually, but because of COVID, that has changed, and not only by them of course!
That one will most likely be illegal in the UK and Europe, as it will probably have the more powerful 350 Watt motor that they also sell.....
A few here in Germany were caught out by customs and excise in 2018, who forbid the import of those models with the 350 Watt motor. Left them with a bike at an importer, that they had to sell somewhere like the USA. Difficult!
How does UK customs view them on a legal basis?
Andy

ElectricJoe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2020
What is Bristol like for crime? I saw recently that it has the highest incidents of bike theft in the UK. I've also seen quite a few things randomly that made me think it has a crime problem? Probably just some random stuff giving me a force impression of the place.
I suspect its more that its students urban place with a lot of bikes around hence more bikes to steal.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
UK customs aren't interested in the legality of such imports in my experience.
It would still be a risk, even if only 50/50.....
I saw here what happened to the Germans who got caught out!
Maybe the German customs take their job more seriously? Just guessing.
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It would still be a risk, even if only 50/50.....
I saw here what happened to the Germans who got caught out!
Maybe the German customs take their job more seriously? Just guessing.
Andy
UK customs cannot discriminate on the grounds of user legality of any civilian vehicle. That would be contrary to our law which permits the sale and purchase of any such vehicle by any person.

It is only usage on our public roads and publically accessible lands that is subject to various laws.