Current Kalkhoff Impulse software version?

gordonmx

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 19, 2011
Dear Kalkhoff Impulse pedelec users.

Do any of you have a way of checking what version of Kalkhoff's Impulse e-bike software is currently installed on your bike? I recently went through a long process of getting my retailer to learn how update the software, only to find that it was exactly the same version I had had installed: Version C64.1.083 (Nov 19 2013), M19.1.344 (25.0km/h). Before I give my retailer too hard a time about this I thought I'd check and see whether I can find out what the current version actually is. I can't believe there hasn't been an update in three years. I have a Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo Harmony bike with the NuVinci hub. (I also had to teach the retailer how to update the hub, in fact, that it was possible to update it. That update clearly worked, though I have no way of seeing it directly. Ordinarily, I'd check this out with the manufacturer, but Derby Cycles, who makes the Kalkhoff, have been refusing to answer questions from anyone who isn't a dealer.

Thanks!

Mike

• Useful
Reactions: deedee

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
You need a special service unit to check the software version. I would have thought anyone selling Kalkhoffs would have one. I have.

gordonmx

Jan 19, 2011
You need a special service unit to check the software version. I would have thought anyone selling Kalkhoffs would have one. I have.
I can see the software version on the LCD display by burrowing into the settings. Anyway, I'm asking what is the current version. My retailer said they updated the bike's software, but it seems to have installed the same software version.

deedee

Sep 8, 2016
london
Dear Kalkhoff Impulse pedelec users.

Do any of you have a way of checking what version of Kalkhoff's Impulse e-bike software is currently installed on your bike? I recently went through a long process of getting my retailer to learn how update the software, only to find that it was exactly the same version I had had installed: Version C64.1.083 (Nov 19 2013), M19.1.344 (25.0km/h). Before I give my retailer too hard a time about this I thought I'd check and see whether I can find out what the current version actually is. I can't believe there hasn't been an update in three years. I have a Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo Harmony bike with the NuVinci hub. (I also had to teach the retailer how to update the hub, in fact, that it was possible to update it. That update clearly worked, though I have no way of seeing it directly. Ordinarily, I'd check this out with the manufacturer, but Derby Cycles, who makes the Kalkhoff, have been refusing to answer questions from anyone who isn't a dealer.

Thanks!

Mike
great question as I have excactly same bike and display settings shows the same software as yours. mine is a 2015 year kalkhoff ergo with harmony hub.
would be great to tweek it to do 28mph.

how did you update hub?
many thanks

deedee

Sep 8, 2016
london
great question as I have excactly same bike and display settings shows the same software as yours. mine is a 2015 year kalkhoff ergo with harmony hub.
would be great to tweek it to do 28mph.

The new software update ends in 355
50cycles in richmond recon £10 for it
10 minute job

how did you update hub?
many thanks

gordonmx

Jan 19, 2011
Glad you like my question. Thanks for answering with useful info. You have the same bike as me or maybe the next version.

Got any further info on the version number of the new Kalkhoff motor/display software? My retailer is checking, but Derby/Kalkhoff is being very unhelpful, suggesting that someone had put an Impulse 1 motor on my Ergo when it is clearly marked as a version 2.

Yeah would be great to get the 45kph Fast Pedelec version, but that would legally require me to wear a helmet and to stay out of any bike lanes.

Anyway, I updated the NuVinci hub by encouraging the retailer to contact NuVinci support, then pointing them to the online resources. Took months, but they finally got a connected laptop, installed the software and connected using the appropriate USB cable. Took a few minutes. They sent me screen shots to prove they'd done it. Now they're updating their other clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 4366

AFAIK, the 45kph version is the same as yours.

You need the programming device to change the wheel size to 16", which will release the speed limit.

deedee

Sep 8, 2016
london
So 406mm wheel size?
The lowest i can choose in display settings is 1510mm

So what your saying is via laptop chsnge settings to 406mm?

You need the programming device to change the wheel size to 16", which will release the speed limit.
o

deedee

Sep 8, 2016
london
W
Glad you like my question. Thanks for answering with useful info. You have the same bike as me or maybe the next version.

Got any further info on the version number of the new Kalkhoff motor/display software? My retailer is checking, but Derby/Kalkhoff is being very unhelpful, suggesting that someone had put an Impulse 1 motor on my Ergo when it is clearly marked as a version 2.

Yeah would be great to get the 45kph Fast Pedelec version, but that would legally require me to wear a helmet and to stay out of any bike lanes.

Anyway, I updated the NuVinci hub by encouraging the retailer to contact NuVinci support, then pointing them to the online resources. Took months, but they finally got a connected laptop, installed the software and connected using the appropriate USB cable. Took a few minutes. They sent me screen shots to prove they'd done it. Now they're updating their other clients.

which dealer did you/are you using?
I will soon go to richmond 50cycles to get hub and motor software updated so will post the new code as and when done cheers

gordonmx

Jan 19, 2011
I live in Luxembourg. I'm sure it won't help you to know my dealer's name, but FWIW, it's Cactus. The service is provided by their after-sales service. I look forward to learning what software 50cycles/Richmond installs on your motor & display.

Is 50cycles saying they can do you a NuVinci Harmony upgrade? It's not hard, but not every dealer seems to have gotten themselves set up to do it.

deedee

Sep 8, 2016
london
Y
I live in Luxembourg. I'm sure it won't help you to know my dealer's name, but FWIW, it's Cactus. The service is provided by their after-sales service. I look forward to learning what software 50cycles/Richmond installs on your motor & display.

Is 50cycles saying they can do you a NuVinci Harmony upgrade? It's not hard, but not every dealer seems to have gotten themselves set up to do it.

yes the dealer seems to know how to update the harmony hub and motor
Prob get it done next week

gordonmx

Jan 19, 2011
Any chance you got the updates done last week? If so, can you share the complete software version references? I'd like to be able to specify what I'm asking for.

gordonmx

Jan 19, 2011
Hi Deedee. Still waiting to get it done or have you forgotten my question? Would really appreciate you taking the time.

Havnt got round to doing it yet but i WILL post soon as i do sorry

deedee

Sep 8, 2016
london
still waiting sorry
im just wary in getting it done because because of recent impulse motor failures. maybe the new software is a detune?
and i have also installed the badass box recently.

Reactions: gordonmx

gordonmx

Jan 19, 2011
How can the 45kph version be the same? My motor is 250W. I thought the 45kph had a 350W motor, or something similar.

Also, wouldn't the extra speed kill your battery? Do the really use the same 17Ah battery?

D

Deleted member 4366

This is where the law gets a bit weird. To be classed as an EAPC or EPAC, the motor has to be "rated" at no more than 250w, but thre's no rule behind the rating, except that it mustn't be over-rated. In that case, an authorised person, like an engineer in the factory can point at one batch of motors and say that they're rated at 250w and then point at another batch and say that they're 350w. All the motors are capable of sustaining 350w and will pass the over-rating test.

It seems that there's some unwritten rule about power. 15 amps at 36v (600w) seems to be as far as they go, though the KTM Panasonic bike probably has 15A at its 48v, which is 750w. That would account for it being a bit more powerful than your average 36v 250w motor.

The electrical and mechanical parts in the 250w and 350w motors are the same. The only difference is software and maybe a label. Both can be reprogrammed to be the other. As far as we can see, the only difference is the speed limit.

To answer your question about the battery: Obviously, the faster you go with the motor, the more power you need, which comes from the battery, so the battery will go down faster; however, that's only above 25 km/h. Below 25 km/h, both will have identical consumption.

Reactions: gordonmx

deedee

Sep 8, 2016
london
Any chance you got the updates done last week? If so, can you share the complete software version references? I'd like to be able to specify what I'm asking for.

very well overdue answer...but i can tell you the current software update for impulse 2 motor is; C64.1.083 (NOV 19 2013) M19.1.345 (25.0KM/H)

and just to add the motor or some other parts in the motor has failed at 2025 miles. so a new motor for me...

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
still waiting sorry
im just wary in getting it done because because of recent impulse motor failures. maybe the new software is a detune?
and i have also installed the badass box recently.
When i had a software update because of a previous motor failure it was worse,a lot more pressure was needed on the pedals to get to the power and it would cut out very slightly over sharp bumps when the previous motor would surge,it was the S version.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

very well overdue answer...but i can tell you the current software update for impulse 2 motor is; C64.1.083 (NOV 19 2013) M19.1.345 (25.0KM/H)

and just to add the motor or some other parts in the motor has failed at 2025 miles. so a new motor for me...
Sorry to hear that. All the info that I have gleaned shows that they nearly all fail between 1500 and 2000 miles, so yours can be considered as typical.

• Useful
Reactions: bilabonic