Custom Builders

speedy41

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2018
Hi All,

I have been enjoying my Haibike Xduro but I am now yearning for more power (off road).

I have been looking st some of the Luna cycle builds but they don't ship to the UK, does anyone on here do custom builds similar to what Luna are doing? Or any other sites you know of that ship to UK?

Cheers

Adam

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think this is Frank aka Zipi bikes who once upon a time used to frequent the forum many years ago.

speedy41

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2018
Hi Everyone

Well it seems quite hard to get someone to build me a bbshd retrofit. Most people only want to fit hub drives and unfortunately I haven’t heard anything from Darren. Is there anyone else out there that builds custom mid drive bikes for customers?

Thanks

Adam

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hi Everyone

Well it seems quite hard to get someone to build me a bbshd retrofit. Most people only want to fit hub drives and unfortunately I haven’t heard anything from Darren. Is there anyone else out there that builds custom mid drive bikes for customers?

Thanks

Adam
problem is id build and sell you one for cash as a m8 but no chance as a business as its a tad over the speed limit and not worth the risk.

if you have the right bike to fit the motor to its not that hard tbh and plenty of you tube vids of how its done. ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

speedy41

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2018
Thanks sound wave, I really have 0 experience as I am not capable of doing it..

Was thinking of something proven like a giant anthem that the Lana guys build but they won’t ship to UK..

Is there anyway to fit throttle to haibike or speed it up other than the badass dongle? Or is custom only way to go?

Adam

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can hit 35mph on my haibike with a dongle but it does need 120rpm at the cranks and the right gearing.

sure you could import a bike i guess but you do realise these sorts of speeds will nuke these tiny batts with no effort.

and then you end up with this
http://www.hi-powercycles.com/2018-revolution-m-pro-27-5/

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have 18t at the front on my bike with 10 at the rear but 20t would be the best for top speed on the Bosch motor.

but it also depend how fast or slow you like to spin the cranks as a dongle only removes the speed limit.

speedy41

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2018
Ok which one do I need Mate?

It’s a haibike cross 3.0 xduro...

I dunno how fast i spin the cranks how would I know... is there any way to get the correct speed on the display as well as I ain’t got a clue what speed I’m doing lol

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Thanks sound wave, I really have 0 experience as I am not capable of doing it..

Was thinking of something proven like a giant anthem that the Lana guys build but they won’t ship to UK..

Is there anyway to fit throttle to haibike or speed it up other than the badass dongle? Or is custom only way to go?

Adam
I've just finished a 2012 Giant Anthem X2 BBSHD build a couple of weeks ago. I can assure you that there's nothing difficult about installing a BBSXX kit - You can ask for any help you might need right here.

It is important that you do some research first to ensure that your intended host bike will accommodate a BBSXX motor with the minimum of fuss. My specific frame was a little problematic due to the press fit bottom bracket, but all that was required was an adapter to allow the BB to accommodate the motor.

Last edited:

speedy41

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2018
Thanks for the links soundwave.

Danielrlee, ok maybe I will give it a shot then. Which frame is yours using. How is it? Was it worth doing?

Where did you buy your kit and battery from?

Cheers

Adam

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Thanks for the links soundwave.

Danielrlee, ok maybe I will give it a shot then. Which frame is yours using. How is it? Was it worth doing?

Where did you buy your kit and battery from?

Cheers

Adam
I converted a 2012 Giant Anthem X2, which I built for the sole-purpose of off-road trail and singletrack riding – for everything else, I prefer a rear direct drive motor with loads of power. As an aside, I personally wouldn't like to use a mid-drive as a daily driver.

How is it? It's so much fun and was totally worth doing! I've only ridden it for a couple of hours, but I've given it the beating of its life.

As stated previously, the frame I chose wasn't the most straight forward to convert and due to the press fit BB, required a PF41 to BSA adapter (link below). I think pre 2012 Anthems feature a BSA BB, which doesn't require an adapter:

https://www.empoweredcycles.com/products/shimano-pf41-bb92-89-5-92mm-to-bsa-adaptor-for-bbshd

The wide BB required a 100mm BBSHD, which threw the chainline completely out of whack. To rectify this, I also bought a Luna Eclipse 42T chainring with an extreme 24.8mm offset (link below). I've never seen such a beautiful chainring before. It's a work of art. The photos really don't do it justice.

https://lunacycle.com/luna-eclipse-chain-ring-for-the-bbshd/

I used RC LiPo for a battery, but it's not something I would recommend unless you are already clued-up about them.

My advice would be to buy a host bike before anything else, but be sure to ask here first for suitability.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
As an aside, I personally wouldn't like to use a mid-drive as a daily driver.
I don't mind one way or the other. I enjoyed getting a decent gear shifter three years ago so much after many years of complicated and under-performing ones that I don't mind changing gears - in town I only use two anyway.

speedy41

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2018
I mean im only using it for fun really... A bit of on and off road, so need to be able to wack the output down when riding on the roads ;)

I guess its going to teach me a lot especially as I know 0 about bikes, couldnt even change a tyre until soundwave helped me out, but now I have the bug big time and just dont want to be restricted by the Haibike and I love the look of the Anthems. Maybe I should go for another cross if im doing on and off road or do you think the anthem will be fine for a casual rider?

Adam

Related Articles

Advertisers