CYC X1 Pro gen 2

bobbyrobson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2018
Hey all,

Suprised there isn't an existing thread about this mid drive.

Anyways, anyone out there got one of these?

I'm mostly interested in how well the torque sensing feature works. Sounds like the ideal mid drive for me (minus the cost!). Prefer to use my legs rather than turn my bike into a moped and use throttle only.

There's quite a few videos about, mostly of the gen 1, but nothing really focusing on the torque sensing in gen 2 videos.

I've considered the tongsheng tsdz2 + the custom firmware, but a bit put off by reports of certain parts have a short lifespan etc.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Probably because it is to high powered and costly for most to use also until you posted, never heard of it before. It's a motor more for the likes of the ES guys.

bobbyrobson

Oct 6, 2018
Probably because it is to high powered and costly for most to use also until you posted, never heard of it before. It's a motor more for the likes of the ES guys.
Yeah, I agree it's way too many watts at full power! Chain snapping! I think I actually saw it first on ES when it was gen 1, been watching its development since. Looks pretty cool

106308103_1190801827933244_2883979250220867505_o.jpg

They've developed an app for it that programs the built in controller, communicating via Bluetooth, which I believe you can set certain parameters like limiting the power.. Which is what I'd do straight away tbh.

I did originally look into getting the bbshd but with the upgrades I'd get (lekkie bling ring, eggrider... maybe bac855) it's pretty much the price of the cyc, plus you get better torque assist instead of the leg-throttle pedal assist that the bbshd offers.

Although I'm not sure if it's wise to purchase it direct from Hong Kong, they said the vat/tax would only cost £27 which I'm not sure about, sounds dodgy. Electroncycles sell it, but not the chainsize I'd like

Jimjimma

Just Joined
Jun 25, 2020
I’m looking to build out a fat bike based on a Surly Wednesday f/f using this motor. I’m not surprised there’s not much info about it as it’s quite new and the Bafang stuff has been with us for many years now. The unit I guess could be described as next-gen.

I like the look of everything about this unit, particularly the torque sensing. I’m not bothered about top speed really otherwise I’d buy a s/h Ducati - it looks to be useable at 48v.

Will pair it with the Sturmey Archer three speed IHG so I can leverage the strength of a single speed chain, but sourcing 36h fat bike rims alphas been interesting.

I just need to find someone that takes the Halfords Cycle2work voucher so I can get one half price....

I will look to publish a build journey once I‘be finished sourcing the bits...

RobN

Pedelecer
May 15, 2020
That looks like a nice bit of Kit.
Look forward to seeing the build.

Giocast

Sep 14, 2020
I agree bobbyrobson . here in the UK the distribution appears to be sparse but am pursuing a purchase as finally realising that mid-motor even at DIY level, is preferable overall to wheelhub drive. I think the over-complex servicing of some of the popular mid-drives has put me off because it needn't be so, and might consider knocking up something myself as it's only essentially:- a motor, a couple of sprockets, a chain and tensioner and a mounting brkt.

Giocast

Sep 14, 2020
They also do a Stealth version.

This video explains the difference.

apart from the chain tensioner, i'm leaning toward the "Pro" version myself from that video anyway. Much to explore.