Cyclamatic Power Plus - A Beginners Tale ...

Penlost

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Well I have had my Cyclamatic Power Plus for two years now and thought I would share my recent experiences for all those that have been in the same position as me - an absolute beginner willing to take the odd gamble!!

First up this forum has been , and will continue to be, my number 1 resource to get information and advise regarding my bike. I could not have done it without the information and the kind help that has been provided here. Particular thanks for D8veh help with my battery.

After two years of riding my bike (as it came, no mods) I began to notice the battery did not last as long. I actually noticed this the first winter I purchased it but as it still did the miles that I needed it was not a big issue. The summer seems to be kind to the battery and it perked up a bit but as this winter approached I knew it was time to make a decision - to do a few modifications or get rid of it.

First up, I tackled the tyres. The old ones were getting worn and I fancied getting anti puncture tyres. With the help of a guide on this forum I purchased and fitted a pair of Scwalabe anti punture tyres. Fitting of them was actually no problem - dont be put off by the motor! It was then I realised that I had not even thought to pump my original tyres up to the recommended PSI. After checking my new tyres, I closed my eyes and kept pumping up to the maximum 85 psi. A combination of the new tyres and the correct pressure meant that the bike FLEW! With a big smile on my face I gained an extra 3 mph on the flat using just the throttle and it would even propel me up slight inclines. With pedel assist it was an absolute joy to ride.

But next I had to tackle the battery. I decided in the end to order this one:

36V10Ah LiFePO4 Alloy 01-Case EBike Battery Pack - BMSBATTERY

It was an upgrade, 24v to 26v and I took lots of advise from a very patient D8veh before taking the plunge. He warned me that it may be a different size and to check the terminals were the correct way round. So I waited and feared the worst! I have never ordered anything direct from China before but the price was too tempting !

BMS Battery were very impressive. My battery was out of stock but they kept me informed via the website about every stage of the build and despatch. The live customer service web chat was very helpful and in two weeks my battery arrived via DHL after paying import duty (£13).
The battery was brilliantly packed and the charger included (The charger looks much more robust than my old one and includes a fan to keep it cool.)

The best thing about the new battery is that it is exactly the same size as the old battery and the positive/negative terminals were also the same way round. It was literally a straight swap! I slotted it in this afternoon and took the bike out for a spin. It was AMAZING! In strong wind and rain (I could not wait for better weather!) the bike gained another 5mph on the flat with throttle only. With peddle assit I was loving the hills even more!

The only thing I find now is that I quickly max out as I cannot keep up with the increased speed (maxing out at about 22mph). I probably should leave it there but my next project may well be a bigger chain ring on the front and I am also going to invest in a rear rack.

I offer my experiences in the hope that it will help those that were in the same position as me

I have never had so much fun on a bike - ever ... :D:D

Reactions: dr bob

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Great post - I am pleased the battery fitted because I have been pondering whether or not to go down the same route so Mrs. W. could ride the cyclamatic and accompany me on longer rides. The battery on my 18 month old Cyclamatic is down to about 12 miles and that will fall over the winter even further.

Maybe Mrs. W. would appreciate a BMs battery for her Christmas present. On second thoughts.......

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Good story. Hope you can keep up cycling with smile.

just wondering how much did you spend at the end? Did you need to select DHL instead of Fedex due to the shipping limitation?

Thanks
Pat

Penlost

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Good story. Hope you can keep up cycling with smile.

just wondering how much did you spend at the end? Did you need to select DHL instead of Fedex due to the shipping limitation?

Thanks
Pat
Shipping came in at £60.00. I had to select DHL Hong Kong as they were the only carriers that would take it. I got charged import tax of £13.00. So in total, the battery cost me £220.00.

Penlost

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
image.jpg

As an update to this, I purchased a bike rack from Aldi today, fits a treat :). The front of the rack can be nicely attached to the battery runner ...

Mr L A Ballard

Just Joined
Jan 25, 2014
Hi Penlost,
Can you give me more information on these Scwalabe anti punture tyres. The ones I have seen thus far max 65 p.s.i. the fact you got 85 p.s.i. be interesting to see the difference.
I also have purchase a 36v from different source and up-graded to a S60S controller from BMSBattery, awesome piece of kit & combination.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Hi Penlost,
Can you give me more information on these Scwalabe anti punture tyres. The ones I have seen thus far max 65 p.s.i. the fact you got 85 p.s.i. be interesting to see the difference.
I also have purchase a 36v from different source and up-graded to a S60S controller from BMSBattery, awesome piece of kit & combination.
He probably meant Marathon Plus tyres. I have them and keep them at 85psi and rolling resistance is very good. They don’t do much to cushion bumps at that pressure, but I’m used to hard tyres and it’s a compromise I’m happy to make.

Penlost

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
This is an update to my original thread years later! I am still riding the Power Plus and its still going strong. The battery I replaced is still in there - reduced distance but still more than enough to get me from A to B - how much longer can it go on for?! Its now 7 years old ! I fear when it does go I will no longer be able to get a replacement and need to get another bike which will be a shame as its going well. Anyone else got one of these bikes and replaced the battery recently?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Get the battery re-celled with nice ones from Jimmy at ebikebatteries .co.uk, he will oraganise the pick and re-delivery , all for a very reasoanable figure which you will likely be pleased with.

Dawin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2017
Cardiff
This is an update to my original thread years later! I am still riding the Power Plus and its still going strong. The battery I replaced is still in there - reduced distance but still more than enough to get me from A to B - how much longer can it go on for?! Its now 7 years old ! I fear when it does go I will no longer be able to get a replacement and need to get another bike which will be a shame as its going well. Anyone else got one of these bikes and replaced the battery recently?

Dawin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2017
Cardiff
Hi Penlost, have the same Cyclamatic plus for 2 years 2nd hand, still going well, battery starting to deteriorate. Will use it locally through this winter , about 15 miles per week. Then will try to look for a new battery. Good to hear yours is still going.

Reactions: dr bob and Penlost

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just looked at your pic from 2012, battery is proabaly a Silver fish so plenty of Li-on or li-po one's on ebay from the UK and they will some what lighter then lifepo4.

Reactions: dr bob