Cyclamatic power plus E bike

John P

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2016
West Midlands
I have a Cyclamatic electric bike and the back wheel is sticking, it doesn't rotate freely but not bad enough to stop the wheel spinning altogether. Anyone had a similar thing.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I have a Cyclamatic electric bike and the back wheel is sticking, it doesn't rotate freely but not bad enough to stop the wheel spinning altogether. Anyone had a similar thing.
Could be either the freewheel mechanism in the actual motor itself. Does it sound like the motor is spinning too, when you rotate the wheel backwards and forwards with the power off?

Or, the servo brake could be seizing on, or the cable sticking. Undo the nut at point 2 to release the cable tension and see if the problem exists.

Cyclamatic Rear Brake.jpg

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

John P

Jul 1, 2016
West Midlands
A more pressing problem has developed since I first posted so now the bike cannot be pedalled in the normal way (without power assist) as the chain is just keeps spinning on the front crank so no matter how hard I pedal the bike remains stationary. If I pedal with the power assist switched on the bike will move but not when the power is switched off with me pedalling alone. I just wanted to post this before I did anything. Thank you! P.S great photo by the way.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Long time since I had a Cyclamatic, but it could either be the gear cluster freewheel pawls have broken, or the side of the motor casing on the gear side has fractured.

It's not the easiest of hub motors to remove, due to the servo brake, but worth doing to get to the root of the problem.

IIRC, the power cable to the motor has a connector somewhere along the chainstay. Just remove the shrink tubing and the cable can be disconnected.

John P

Jul 1, 2016
West Midlands
Thank you very much for your help it turned out to be the simplest of things but as it happened in the dark last night I could not see properly. It was only my 2nd ride. I think the forum is invaluable and thank you once again! :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Thank you very much for your help it turned out to be the simplest of things but as it happened in the dark last night I could not see properly. It was only my 2nd ride. I think the forum is invaluable and thank you once again! :)
Chain on the front chainring slipped off the teeth perhaps, resulting in comical spinning of pedals with no drive to the chain :rolleyes:

• :D

John P

Jul 1, 2016
West Midlands
Yes I usually ride an ATB so when that happens the chain usually falls off and lands on the crank arm not in the recess to the side of the chainring. I checked the cassette end but could not see the front chainring properly in the dark. I am wise now.

• :D

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Exactly the same thing happened to me on my BBS02 a few months back.

Had thoughts of bust internals and was very near to walking the bike home, until I spotted the problem.

As you discovered, you can still propel the bike with a hub motor, but not with crank drive.

John P

Jul 1, 2016
West Midlands
Comforting to know. You see I had the same thing on my ATB in the winter at night and the crank was spinning which turned out to be the freewheel so naturally I thought the same thing had happened here. I had to scoot it home. What do you think of the Westhill Terrain 36v10AH bike if you can tell me here.

John P

Jul 1, 2016
West Midlands
Could be either the freewheel mechanism in the actual motor itself. Does it sound like the motor is spinning too, when you rotate the wheel backwards and forwards with the power off?

Or, the servo brake could be seizing on, or the cable sticking. Undo the nut at point 2 to release the cable tension and see if the problem exists.

The brake is sticking a bit and when I apply the brake it snatches and sticks.

MrPlodski

Aug 20, 2020

View attachment 14492
Mine does sound like the motor is spinning too, when I rotate the wheel backwards and forwards with the power off!
What is the fix please?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Mine does sound like the motor is spinning too, when I rotate the wheel backwards and forwards with the power off!
What is the fix please?
Turn the bike upside down. Get yourself a lump-hammer or heavy mallet and whack the tyre in a tangential forward direction a few times until the clutch releases.

MrPlodski

Aug 20, 2020
You hit the tyre to knock the wheel forward. Pump the tyre up hard for best effect and to protect the rim in case you misjudge your blow.
Thanks, I've given it a couple of good wacks with a sledge hammer. But, the motor is still whirring as I spin it backwards. So, I think that it is still sticking.
Would WD40 harm it?

Advertisers