Cyclamatic Power Plus Electric Bike £399

halflife

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2008
Dont know if this is any good but certainly seems cheap. says reduced from £1000, look forward to your comments

Cyclamatic Power Plus Electric Bike - Welcome to the Future - The Sports HQ

What the blurb says

Cyclamatic Power Plus Electric Bike

Until this point, electric bikes have been little more than toys - the Cyclamatic Power Plus will change that. Featuring a powerful motor that will propel you to speeds of up to 20km/h, and a battery that offers a range of 45km, the Power Plus makes transportation on an electric bike a realistic option.

The bike can be used as a standard bike - the mountain bike frame, strong V-fork brakes, suspension and Shimano gears with quick-shift offer all the features of a premium bike. The Power Plus can be used simply as a traditional 'pedal' bike without any problems, however it also features two other modes - semi-powererd and fully powered. Semi-powered will kick in the power as you start pedalling - think of it as assisting your normal pedalling. Fully powered will take you from stationary to cruising speed at the flick of a wrist.

Easy to use
Quick release battery. Quick release front wheel. Intuitive twist-shift acceleration. Minimal assembly (under 5 mins). Quick change Shimano gears

Incredible performance
45km range on normal terrain. Reach speeds of up to 20km/h

Stylish
Latest mountain bike frame design - not some old frame that looks like it has been taken from a 1920's film set. Bright silver brushed finish.

Comfort
Padded saddle. Quality Shimano gears for smooth ride. Upgraded V-Fork brakes. Front suspension. Front and rear mud guards

Features

17" mountain bike frame with 26" wheels
New Lithium-ion battery provides huge power (up to 45km range) and weighs a fraction of traditional lead-acid batteries. Upgraded power - 24 volts and 10 amps, considerably better than the existing 8A batteries commonly used
Fully sealed battery means safe for use in rainy conditions
Can be used as a normal bike
Servo "anti-cling" safety brakes
Samson Champion tyres
Shimano Tourney SIS-Index gears
Quick release battery
Quick release front wheel
7 speed Shimano gears with quick change
Front and rear mud guards
V-brakes for rapid deceleration
Bell and reflectors
24V 8AH powerful battery
Waterbottle
Were this bike to be sold through the usual retail route, you would expect to pay around £800-£1000 for something of this quality. We've not cut any features, performance, or safety elements - all we've cut is the middle man. This bike is the real deal.

Imagine - owning one of these would mean no petrol. No road tax. No pollution. No car insurance. This thing would pay for itself in a couple of months.

Buy with confidence
The Cyclamatic Power Plus comes with a full 12 month warranty against any faults or problems that may develop.

Once you receive the bike, if you are not completely satisfied, you are more than welcome to return it to us for a full refund under the terms of our returns program.

Cyclamatic is one of Europe's leading electric bike brands, investing large amounts of time and resources into R&D and continual improvement. The Sports HQ are the exclusive online distributors of this brand, sold factory direct, so you can be sure of quality and value.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Hard to tell as I'm not familiar with the components listed. The 20 kph top speed is very low though, it won't even do the UK legal limit of 25 kph under power which most ebikers feel is very low in itself.

Also battery size isn't too good. I would suspect its a very low power bike and low end components.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This one arrogantly nonsensical sentence condemns it:

"Until this point, electric bikes have been little more than toys"

There's little need to read further, but doing so starts to reveal the shortcomings, even if their claims are believed.

And this is simply wilfully misleading, as it's clearly a Chinese bike and Cyclamatic are most certainly not a leading electric bike brand:

"Cyclamatic is one of Europe's leading electric bike brands, investing large amounts of time and resources into R&D and continual improvement."

As a Google search shows, the only references to Cyclamatic are to the retailer SportsHQ, showing it to be a dreamt up name.

With such dishonesty, one to be avoided. It's probably a clearance of an unwanted production.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never heard of:
But they sound interesting, how is the servo powered?
As there's no rear V brake, I assume it has one of two types there, the Shimano type roller brake or a band brake. Both these are self applying once brought into action, hence the servo reference.

Since I very much doubt a roller brake could be added to a hub motor, it's probably a band brake, awful things that squealed horribly and were largely dropped from Chinese production some years ago.

If it is that, it could account for the stock clearance type price, since it's no longer normally possible to sell a complete e-bike like this at £399 with today's exchange rates.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
As there's no rear V brake, I assume it has one of two types there, the Shimano type roller brake or a band brake. Both these are self applying once brought into action, hence the servo reference.

Since I very much doubt a roller brake could be added to a hub motor, it's probably a band brake, awful things that squealed horribly and were largely dropped from Chinese production some years ago.

If it is that, it could account for the stock clearance type price, since it's no longer normally possible to sell a complete e-bike like this at £399 with today's exchange rates.
I think theres a few general importers who jumped on the " electric bikes are a good idea " band wagon a while back when the exchange rate was $2 to £.There wasnt /isnt the market they expected so they have to get rid.We import trampolines and the market had the same sort of problems with ebay,hopefully with the rates so low now they'll bugger off.We also deal in a bit of surplus stock and were offered some folding bikes by a clearance company.Some one imported a couple of containers and couldnt move them.Apparently they cost him over £400 each and are pretty decent bikes.Theyre being offered by the clearance company for £275 on ebay now.I thought about getting one but worry about after sales service,as there will be none.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I spoke to this company yesterday.It looks as though I was wrong ,theyre not clearance.They are selling " very well " and will continue to import and sell them at the same price.I cant see how they can support them in after sales service?They seem quite a big company though selling all types of sporting goods.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I spoke to this company yesterday.It looks as though I was wrong ,theyre not clearance.They are selling " very well " and will continue to import and sell them at the same price.I cant see how they can support them in after sales service?They seem quite a big company though selling all types of sporting goods.
Its not possible at today's exchange rates.

RobbieAtk

Just Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Bought one over Xmas break, very impressive build quality throughout. Front suspension, basic but functional. Alloy frame, high quality. Motor runs well. Blog post here

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Is this the way forward for e-bikes?Reasonable spec bikes with affordable prices? I think this bike would of cost the importer £250 to £300,but theres no middle man or dealers to give a cut to

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I think time will tell, and probably not too long (think support, parts). If you cant get a decent normal bike with 'quality' components for under £300 then can you expect an ebike of 'quality' for similar?

If a deal looks too good to be true .......

fingers crossed for you

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
There is nothing on there that says they keep a full range of spares i'd rather pay more if i knew the company i bought off kept the spares. Alot of these traders buy a container load sell them cheap & anything goes wrong takes parts off another bike untill they completely sell out then tell you to try another electric bike shop where theyve never heard of the make!! Been done before!! :mad:

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
There is nothing on there that says they keep a full range of spares i'd rather pay more if i knew the company i bought off kept the spares. Alot of these traders buy a container load sell them cheap & anything goes wrong takes parts off another bike untill they completely sell out then tell you to try another electric bike shop where theyve never heard of the make!! Been done before!! :mad:
I think they do carry spares,can the guy who bought the bike find out and let us know please?

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Bought one over Xmas break, very impressive build quality throughout. Front suspension, basic but functional. Alloy frame, high quality. Motor runs well. Blog post here
Hiya

checked out what my wifes reasonably priced e bike is and it`s the Cyclamatic that you have. Spent today in the shed fitting some decent SKS mudguards.

Only took it on the road once on Wednesday when the roads were just wet and was quite impressed myself for £399. We went out and I was on my 36V bike and she didn`t have a problem keeping up with me. What she likes about it is the 17" frame that more fits her size. the way she looks at it is that it isn`t a big investment so depreciation will be very low and she will probably only go out once a week on it and might even get the motor to last a couple of years. Rest of the bike is pretty run of the mill and with a bit of normal general maintenance I see no reason why if the motor packs up I couldn`t fit another hub for her. Main point is that she is over the moon with it and to be honest it looks pretty good as well. Not sure what the max road speed is on twist grip so I will do a test with my computer but following her I had to pedal to get past her. More than fast enough for her. I reckon it`s about 5 Kilos lighter than mine so that`s probably why the 24v motor is doing so well.

BTW Robbie, use some Pro Gold chain lub on it and see just how sweet those 7 gears run mate.

Nice blog site BTW.

Reactions: dr bob

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
SportHQ do carry spares

Hi, when looking around at ebikes I contacted SportHq to enquire as to the spares situation and was told they do carry spares.
One of the nice thing about this company is, if you buy either of their ebikes at £399.00 you get a 5% bonus off your next purchase, thats £19.95.
Buy a spare battery at £200 and get it delivered free for £180.05.
Their folding bike has the servo rear brake which is also fitted to the Alien pulsar folder.
The folder has an 8ah lithium battery and 6sp shimano tourney gears and the power plus a 10ah battery and 7sp shimano tourney gears.
I think theres some misprints in the specs regarding motors being brushed when they appear to be brushless. Also the specs contradict themselves by saying speed is 20kph but also state they're capable of reaching UK legal limit.
I went for a 36volt bike eventually because I'm over 100kgish and thought 24volt was expecting a lot, but I may consider the folder as a throw in the boot emergency item.

Reactions: dr bob

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Correction

Sorry I made mistake in previous post?
The power plus shares the servo rear brake with the pulsar. The folder has a v brake on the lower fork.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think time will tell, and probably not too long (think support, parts). If you cant get a decent normal bike with 'quality' components for under £300 then can you expect an ebike of 'quality' for similar?

If a deal looks too good to be true .......

fingers crossed for you
supermarkets sell something that looks like a bike for approx £100 but as John says £300 buys a decent serviceable bike.

A SB motor costs £200? or more? I thought they where not that cheap. So they build, ship and retail an E bike for £399

I just don't see it to be honest

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
supermarkets sell something that looks like a bike for approx £100 but as John says £300 buys a decent serviceable bike.

A SB motor costs £200? or more? I thought they where not that cheap. So they build, ship and retail an E bike for £399

I just don't see it to be honest
I think SB motors are less than $50.00.The lithium batteries the most expensive,around $150 for 24v to $200 for 36v