Juicybike Cycle Rack

Gkinghrn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 12, 2019
I have read a few threads in here and the predominant view seems to be get a towbar fitted then buy a Thule or whatever given the typical E-bike weight ..potential cost well over £700 from what I can see.

As someone who wont be doing any long distances with the bike and even taking it out more locally so very very infrequently it appears to be an excessive amount (I’m a pensioner so money isn’t exactly flowing out these days :( ) .

I’ve got a 2015 Qashqai and I can just about get the bike in by removing the front wheel but it’s a real challenge physically and again not a long term option really (it also consumes all the rear boot space).

I did find the Menabo stand up 3 which seems to do the job ... I assume with an overall weight of 45kg and just using for the ebike it should be fine . I worry however about the impact on the rear windscreen with these kind of th8ngs.

I also found the Pure Instinct 2 bike one which is a bit different 8n that it secures completely against the rear door with no impact to glass ..

Doesn’t appear to be certified against the Nissan but by the looks of it it would seem a good fit for the rear door.

Anyone any experience of these or any other potential suggestions.

Please don’t tell me I need a towbar .. I know that’s the best solution I just don’t want it if I can avoid it.

TIA

Last edited:
Reactions: artspeck

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Looks a good rack, if somewhat expensive.

What is the problem with the rack leaning against the glass? Most strap-on racks operate this way and the motor manufacturers must know this. Unless you car handbook specifically says don't do it then you should be OK.

I use a Pendle Standard Classic rack. Very sturdy and it **may** be possible to adjust the top part so it rests on the metalwork above the rear window. (I don't have this option because on my car the glass goes right to the top of the tailgate).

IMG_20190721_132121.jpgpIMG_20190721_132114.jpg

Reactions: Gkinghrn

Gkinghrn

Aug 12, 2019

Thanks ..I think what I see though is more direct pressure going directly onto the rear screen due to the shape of that boot , much less pressure with your shape of tailgate. Also securing at the top with straps is problematical as it’s like a plastic spoiler fixed to the boot lid so it really won’t take much pressure at all to rip it off ...

Mottez used to do a rack which had bars that fitted onto a cross rail roof bar at the rear and sat on the bumper ..kept the whole lot off the rear screen but I can’t find any of those anywhere (I used it on my Grand Voyagger about 10 years ago) ..

Here’s the back of the car (not my car I hasten to add)

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
What is the problem with the rack leaning against the glass
Watch out for cars with a rear wiper that wipes automatically when reverse is engaged if the front wipers are switched on, I had a VW Scirocco that did this.
Dave.

Reactions: artspeck

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
You've go a bit of a problem if that spoiler thing is plastic and won't take any weight.

Pendle do an adaptor so that instead of hooks grabbing the edge of the tailgate, there are loops which go through into the boot and are then fitted with small metal tubes. When the tailgate is closed the tubes are pulled against the strong bits of the roof and the tailgate. This won't help in your case though as the weight of the bikes is still going through the straps which rest on the plastic spoiler.

Looks like a similar problem with the Peruzzo rack you found.

Maybe a visit to the Nissan dealer to get their advice?

As DC points out, automatic rear wipers are a pain with racks which touch the glass. I manage to get my wiper jammed every time!

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
I was in the same position as you are. My answer was to swap the car from a Honda Jazz to a Citroen Berlingo Multispace. No regrets. Another alternative would be to get a car with a disability ramp of course.

Gkinghrn

Aug 12, 2019
Nissan just tell you to get a towbar...helpful , not.

Swapping car not an option since we just recently upgraded this (ironically the older qashqai we had has a whole load of acceptable bike racks available) ...

I am going to check to see whether you can get a strap under that plastic spoiler and not the metal of the boot but I’m not hopeful.

The peruzzo rack they have told me point blank is NOT compatible with this car....

Just strikes me as odd in this day and age that there’s no option for this one car...l my other car is a cabriolet so no options even to use that instead!

Who’d have guessed?

Gkinghrn

Aug 12, 2019

This might just be an option IF it can stretch above the plastic spoiler and clip to the metal of the boot hatch . And resting on the bottom sill I think it should take most of the weight down rather than into the back screen ...

Also found this

Interesting video showing options for plastic roof spoiler too ..

With a max weight of 45kg I am going to work on the basis that whilst I’d like to get one that has individual bike mounts certified to take an ebike these kind of racks cN only work on the basis of total load and not 3x15kg ...it’s a single bar supporting all bikes at the end of the day so that bar is certified to 45kg ...

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Gkinghrn

Aug 12, 2019
If it helps anyone with a 2016 Qashqai I’ve gone for the Mottez A014 rack... I tried the exodus but the fact it can go roof rails is immaterial as the straps still comes down over the plastic spoiler (kind of defeats the purpose in my view) ....

It is coming from France and will arrive at some point in the next 2 weeks lol...

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
I don't get it - all the racks shown above obscure the rear number plate (or rather any bikes carried thereon do). To comply with the law you must therefore carry a separate number plate board, and find a way of fitting it securely to whatever bike is on the rack. But more importantly you will need an electric socket fitted to the rear of the car that is just the same as if you had a towbar. OK it may not cost £350 (towbar AND electrics?) but it's probably going to cost £150 to be done properly.
Having said all that, I see many people driving without the mandatory boards and I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted. Since the board means ANR speed cameras cannot do their job I'm surprised police aren't under standing instructions to book anyone obscuring the number plate in this way.
Mike

Gkinghrn

Aug 12, 2019
The lights , on my car , with that carrier fitted are unobscured. I also think the number plate is too (see the picture of the bikes on the tailgate in that 1st link I posted up there) as the frame at the bottom sits round the number plate

But yes the police simply don’t seem to enforce the law re running boards etc where bikes are concerned but in this case i don’t think it will be an issue . I could of course be wrong ... when the rack arrives I can assess it fully.

Also wiring in the electrics for the lights is a straight forward DIY job ... total cost prob £50 including the board and plate..

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
The lights , on my car , with that carrier fitted are unobscured. I also think the number plate is too (see the picture of the bikes on the tailgate in that 1st link I posted up there) as the frame at the bottom sits round the number plate

But yes the police simply don’t seem to enforce the law re running boards etc where bikes are concerned but in this case i don’t think it will be an issue . I could of course be wrong ... when the rack arrives I can assess it fully.

Also wiring in the electrics for the lights is a straight forward DIY job ... total cost prob £50 including the board and plate..
As I understand it many cars have something known as a canbus system now for the electrics. Doesn't this mean that any attempt at a DIY job of connecting in could cause some serious problems for the car.

Gkinghrn

Aug 12, 2019
Yes but for those you simply put in one of these

Last edited: