Cycle to Work Scheme - bad news?

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Radio 4 Money Box at 12:00p.m Today is going to present bad news to those who have purchased bicycles on the cycle to work scheme:( .
Has George Osborne thought up a plan to claw money back from cyclists?:eek: :( :mad:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Its probably that the Treasury has clarified payments required at the end of the lease period, old news.

Basically members of the scheme were paying anything from 3-10% of the original purchase price after the 12-18 month hire period to purchase the cycles.

Treasury has now set this to about 25% after 1 year down to 1% after 5 years approx, if I recall what I read elsewhere.

Its all pulblished on the web on one of the gov web sites.

Regards

Jerry

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Probably the old news that the amount you have to pay at the end of the agreement will rise considerably meaning that you will save virtually nothing.

Colin

Edit: I agree with him above:)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
lol CeeGee we were typing at the same time.

Jerry

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
No Xmas card from me this year George...
IMO it's easy to know the price of everything, but what about the value?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I reported this some time ago. At work we are beginning to get the valuations in after a year and they seem to be around 25%. Last time I took part in the scheme I paid a £50 (£57 including the VAT) valuation on the £1000 voucher. You can extend the hire period by an extra 31 month and pay the 5% but in the end I think the scheme is dead in the water - too much hassle. I have heard a rumour that they are going to kill the whole scheme next year anyway. Vote blue get green was that?