Cycle to Work

scotsguy00

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 2, 2019
Morning.

Newbie here.

Looking to buy a bike on works cycle to work scheme.

The limit for the scheme is £1k so kinda limited to what is available on the ebike front.

My commute is approx 6 miles each way, undulating route with one quite steep hill (not sure of the gradient)

I want to get into cycling to aid my weight loss. 2 stone down, but still 23 stone.

Research took me to Woosh, but unfortunately they are on my works cycle scheme.

Any recommendations on a £1k ebike for larger men.

Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Talk to the suppliers, practically all of them will let you use your £1,000 voucher and pay the top up yourself.

scotsguy00

Mar 2, 2019
You could also look in to Green Commute Initiative Ltd through the cycle to work scheme without the £1000 limit.
I work for the NHS sonic would imagine it would be a nitemare getting them to subscribe to a new cycle to work scheme, but thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I work for the NHS sonic would imagine it would be a nitemare getting them to subscribe to a new cycle to work scheme, but thanks.
I know we supply bikes on C2W to NHS staff. I'll get back to you on Monday.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If I decide to bite the bullet and just buy a bike, would the big bear be suitable for me?
yes, the Big Bear is good for 16st-25st riders.

Reactions: scotsguy00

ohwheely19

Feb 27, 2019
I believe the way GCI works is that they can invoice for the amount as a "pay as you go" option.

So it's not like they have to sign up to a scheme - they can just pay a one off transaction to GCI who then handle the rest.

Their website isn't the best but has a lot of info. Could be worth contacting them to see what they can do with the NHS: https://greencommuteinitiative.uk/employers/

Also a reasonable breakdown of the Green Commute Initiative here.

The budget it opens up is pretty huge as there's no upper limit, so definitely worth asking a few questions.

scotsguy00

Mar 2, 2019
Phoned to order my bike this morning.

Alas they may have been too busy to process it today for delivery tomorrow.

No one home the rest of the week so I guess I will have to wait until next week.

☹☹

scotsguy00

Mar 2, 2019
Call this morning. Issues with the courier, so am getting the bike delivered on Saturday. At least I will have all day Sunday to set it up and try it out before the commute on Monday morning.