Cycle touring in Europe - whether to use an integrated or external controller

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
As the title goes - I'm planning a European cycle tour, and can't decide to go with an integrated or external controller. The integrated (the new 09-bottle-battery-type, it's part of the lockable battery setup) seems more difficult to vandalise or steal.

However if anything goes wrong with the electrics, it's impossible to just swap out, whereas I can swap out an external one if anything goes wrong, I can bring a spare even or just have one sent by family to where I'm staying. And the external ones can be used at a later date with either 36v or 48v batteries, unlike the integrated. Of course an external one means more odd waterproofing tasks.

Gah! If anyone has a thought I'd be grateful :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the integrated controllers are very easy to swap out. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: jonathan75

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My controller is in a frame bag. I have decided not to worry about theft or vandalism, there isn't much you can do about it. Someone did try to open the previous under saddle bag I noticed but it was cable tie "locked".

I park out in the open solidly attached to urban furniture. If I was cycle touring I would ask hotels, pensions, etc. if they have closed garage space for bicycles and only stay in places that do have them.

Hope that helps

D

Deleted member 4366

The integrated controllers in the 09 bottle batteries are very easy to swap - just two screws. They're a bit more expensive though because they come as a complete set with LCD, throttle, PAS, harness etc. At least then you'd have a complete set of spares.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I realise from what's being said that the cost of a new integrated set means I can't have one on standby in the way I can with an external - so I could be waiting on a campsite for a week or more for it to arrive from China. I didn't think of that one.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
bmsbattery.com will sell you just the -09 controller on its own if you email them.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Thanks I didn't know that. I realise after reading that, that it would be difficult to anticipate which bit (display, etc) could need replacing due to whatever cause, and of course the waterproof harness items are not interchangeable with cheapo parts, some of which I already own and can keep on standby with family.

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't have to emil them. The controller set is listed with their other contollers. It's also listed on the Greenbikekit.com website. About £80 with shipping.