cycle with or against the traffic when using a cycle lane?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
He should be going with the traffic flow, he ia asking for trouble tbh. Any one coming out from his right should look R/L/R before turning in to the flow but alot will simply look R and pull out. They may not register him at all.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
In the Uk you cycle witht he traffic. If you ride against it all is fine except at night where you risk dazzling the oncoming drivers.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I aways cycle with the traffic as that's the direction other road users should be looking.

When walking I go against the traffic so I can see anything well before it reaches me, from Highway code rule 2 for pedestrians :
"If there is no pavement, keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic... "

:cool: I spend a lot of time overseas (where they drive on the wrong side of the road), I had to look at the photo in the first post a few times to see what was wrong o_O

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
The markings on the cycle lane are clearly what are called 'with flow' of traffic(you'll need to look at the section of highway to the rear of the cyclist, or at the cycle lane the other side of the road to see these markings).

If cycling against the flow of traffic is allowed then the road will show 'contra flow' markings.