cycling getting harder

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
had my bike for over a month now and it seems that it's getting harder to peddle. i'm getting to and from work faster each day but my legs are aching more now than they did when i first started. i'm almost sure it's because i'm out of assist a lot more now. have other people experienced this.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Try relaxing and going a little slower.
You end up traveling further faster?

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and Steve A
D

Deleted member 4366

I don't think that you have a suitable bike. the Gtech is better for people who are reasonably fit. Something like a Wisper Torque or Woosh Big bear might suit you better.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
had my bike for over a month now and it seems that it's getting harder to peddle. i'm getting to and from work faster each day but my legs are aching more now than they did when i first started. i'm almost sure it's because i'm out of assist a lot more now. have other people experienced this.
... Joke .. have you charged the battery?
Seriously if you are regularly going above 25km, then the electric assist will cut out and you are back on your own peddling power. More power to you!

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
i'm not complaining about the aching legs, just wondered if others had same experience. i find the assist is great at lights and hills, i'm just surprised at how quickly i'm out of assist on the flat. it's hard trying to relax and go slower even though it's easier on the legs. anybody ever feel a little guilty when behind a 'real' cyclist and you can see them peddling like mad and you have to keep free wheeling and braking to stop from going into back of them.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
How about knock the assist level down unless really needed . That's what I've done. As I ended up going too quick and peddling faster just to feel some resistance and I suppose control. I found that I have a level of resistance and cadence that just feels right. So instead of you going out of assist. Rather, you will be getting a bit less all the time.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Real cyclist!. Really, i'm both and don't feel any guilt. Cycle for yourself, forget others whether you pass them or they pass you. Real! as you call it cyclists vary as do e-bikers, from old to young, fat to thin, fit to ?, high end bikes to old rust buckets.
I've been beaten by older +60 riders, and beat 20 year olds in races. I've also seen really good riders with 10k bikes beaten by older riders on heavy old bikes.
Thank god i don't care anymore, don't race and enjoy the cycling :).

boyabouttown

Pedelecer
Oct 3, 2016
sheffield
i wasn't having a go at 'real' cyclists or trying to infer that ebikers are not real, just couldn't think of another name for non electric cyclists, just sayin i sometimes feel a little guilty as it's so easy on an ebike when riding home from work in wind and rain and you see the effort put in by non assisted riders.

• Agree
Reactions: Sarabee and Steve A

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
i wasn't having a go at 'real' cyclists or trying to infer that ebikers are not real, just couldn't think of another name for non electric cyclists, just sayin i sometimes feel a little guilty as it's so easy on an ebike when riding home from work in wind and rain and you see the effort put in by non assisted riders.
... Why not call them trads as in traditional. Somehow I suspect that had the internet been functional 120 years ago, we would have had complaints from the users of ordinary (Penny-farthing) bikes about those users of the new fangled safety bikes as not being real cyclists

Reactions: Sarabee and Steve A

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Sorry, i know you weren't. It may have been the way i wrote email. Another reason i love e-bikes is for exactly the same reason as you said.

Hence i did put a :)

Reactions: Sarabee

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
... Why not call them trads as in traditional. Somehow I suspect that had the internet been functional 120 years ago, we would have had complaints from the users of ordinary (Penny-farthing) bikes about those users of the new fangled safety bikes as not being real cyclists
You chaps ride upwrongs, recumbents are the future :D

Reactions: Steve A and Danidl