cycling helmet with sun visor

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
Help please. I have been looking to buy a cycle helmet with a sun visor, but whenever I search using that form of words all I find are normal helmets with a tiny visor, that my existing helmet already has.
This morning across the traffic filled main road I spotted another cyclist with a helmet with a very long sun visor, so now I know they exist, but what are they called?

Reactions: artspeck

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Extra long front peak or a eye shield type ?

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Vintage style motor cycle helmets can have a big sun shield and they are not only still made, but are also "stronger" than most Push Bike Helmets....
A friend of mine (in the 1960s) came off and slid down the road on his face, the sun shield save dmost of his face, particulary his nose, from any heavy injury....
So they can be good in several ways.....
I have posted a picture of what he had, but I do not think I would wear one myself nowadays.... But some of the "rocker" style still made may suit you better!
Regards
Andy
See here:-
Bike Helmet 1960.jpg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What's so difficult. It took me less than a minute to find these. The dark visors are held on with magnets, so when you don't want to use the visor, you invert them so that they sit flush on the front upper part of the helmet out of the way.

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Help please. I have been looking to buy a cycle helmet with a sun visor, but whenever I search using that form of words all I find are normal helmets with a tiny visor, that my existing helmet already has.
This morning across the traffic filled main road I spotted another cyclist with a helmet with a very long sun visor, so now I know they exist, but what are they called?
I use a baseball cap under my helmet with 5 inch peak, or bill as they call them in America. Keeps sun out of my eyes and rain off my glasses.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
I use a baseball cap under my helmet with 5 inch peak, or bill as they call them in America. Keeps sun out of my eyes and rain off my glasses.
I have just started wearing a peaked cap (although I got an actual cycle cap) under my cycle helmet this week and can say what a difference in the sun, I should have started doing it years ago.
These have the front peak built in.

but these are what I got a couple of these to try.

Reactions: artspeck

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I ha e one of the one on enduro helmets and a decathlon version too. They look almost identical but the decalthon has a marginally longer visor

I just checked and decathlon stopped selling them though

Still , the on one is a nice helmet and often on a silly priced deal

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
"Extra long front peak or a eye shield type ?"

until you said & others posted links I did not know the eye shield type existed. No good for me as I use a mirror attached to my eye glasses, as I find that better than a mirror attached to some part of the bike.

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
"I use a baseball cap under my helmet with 5 inch peak, or bill as they call them in America. Keeps sun out of my eyes and rain off my glasses."

I used a peaked cap during the winter to deal with the low sun, and it worked well, but I find it too hot to spring, summer & autumn use.