Cycling in Antwerp

Wendy S

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2017
Cardiff
I am going to Antwerp in June and have been looking at street view on Google maps. I have seen a street sign which marks the way to the cycle paths, however, each sign is accompanied by another with a picture of what looks like an ebike with the word "Verboden (forbidden)". Does this mean they we must ride on the roads?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am going to Antwerp in June and have been looking at street view on Google maps. I have seen a street sign which marks the way to the cycle paths, however, each sign is accompanied by another with a picture of what looks like an ebike with the word "Verboden (forbidden)". Does this mean they we must ride on the roads?
It's just the S-class high speed pedelecs (45 kph) that are banned Wendy. Here's the ruling:

"In 2017 new laws for the speed pedelec were introduced. The speed pedelec is no longer classed as a light moped, but as a moped. A moped license, insurance and helmet are compulsory. Also the same traffic rules and speed limits apply as for a regular moped. This means the speed pedelec is no longer permitted on dedicated cycle paths, many of which are in urban areas."

http://www.holland-cycling.com/blog/293-high-speed-on-cycle-paths-part-4

Ordinary pedelecs are not affected and can use all cycle paths.

Wendy S

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2017
Cardiff
It's just the S-class high speed pedelecs (45 kph) that are banned Wendy. Here's the ruling:

"In 2017 new laws for the speed pedelec were introduced. The speed pedelec is no longer classed as a light moped, but as a moped. A moped license, insurance and helmet are compulsory. Also the same traffic rules and speed limits apply as for a regular moped. This means the speed pedelec is no longer permitted on dedicated cycle paths, many of which are in urban areas."

http://www.holland-cycling.com/blog/293-high-speed-on-cycle-paths-part-4

Ordinary pedelecs are not affected and can use all cycle paths.
Thanks, my mind is at rest now.

Advertisers