Reactions: Woosh and oyster

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Invisible cylist at 4m 45s o_O

Invisible pedestrian at 6m 9s

Intermittently invisible cylists at 14m 16s, 15m 00s

Probably been trained from data by typical 'real' drivers.

• :D
Reactions: guerney and Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Invisible cylist at 4m 45s o_O

Invisible pedestrian at 6m 9s

Most of that made me not want to use AP. (Not that I have a Tesla!)

I know he was making a video, but the screen appears to occupy an awful lot of attention.

This was rare - most video I have seen has been forward only. But in order to truly self-drive, they need to be able to manage reverse as well as they do forwards. For example, the numerous roads round here where you can end up needing to reverse back to the last passing point.

Reactions: guerney

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it seems that the software is OK but the cameras' resolution and processing speed are still not good enough. It won't be long though for the hardware to catch up.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
And the horrifying process of these events are it really needs to knock down cyclists, pedestrians, women with pushchairs and prams in order to learn from that data.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There are many places round here which warn Pant Cudd (Hidden Dip).

Often, as a human, you can see through some trees, notice a reflection on a wall, have seen a vehicle before it disappears, etc., so have a jolly good idea about other traffic and what the road does. But AP-like systems seem currently unable to use anything subtle.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
it seems that the software is OK but the cameras' resolution and processing speed are still not good enough. It won't be long though for the hardware to catch up.
Tesla owners have consented to be guinea pigs, I haven't.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
(Not that I have a Tesla!)
So you say Oyster... so you say... ;)

I know he was making a video, but the screen appears to occupy an awful lot of attention.
There are hacks to enable texting, Netflix - pretty much anything you can do on a phone or tablet. Easy for any giggly geek nerd driver to do.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Does anyone know which other cars feature Auto-Cyclist-Killer?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Does anyone know which other cars feature Auto-Cyclist-Killer?
My Nissan Leaf has Autopilot with the same sort of faults, occasionally diving at the kerb and regularly panicking for me to take over. I wouldn't let it anywhere near cyclists. Pluses and minuses though, it woudn't have made that level crossing mistake of dangerously speeding right up to it, its radar is better than that.

But these systems are a very long way short of what they need to be and I honestly believe they should be disabled by law until the makers vastly improve them. Mine is completely out of use and will stay that way for life.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My Nissan Leaf has Autopilot with the same sort of faults, occasionally diving at the kerb and regularly panicking for me to take over. I wouldn't let it anywhere near cyclists. Pluses and minuses though, it woudn't have made that level crossing mistake of dangerously speeding right up to it, its radar is better than that.

But these systems are a very long way short of what they need to be and I honestly believe they should be disabled by law until the makers vastly improve them. Mine is completely out of use and will stay that way for life.
This might explain why so many Nissan Leaf taxis zoom past my bike, far too close. Nearly all other vehicles deviate a little as they pass, but very often not Nissan Leafs. Also some SUVs, although I haven't determined which ones in particular - I'm usually too busy beeping them to take note.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This might explain why so many Nissan Leaf taxis zoom past my bike, far too close. Nearly all other vehicles deviate a little as they pass, but very often not Nissan Leafs. Also some SUVs, although I haven't determined which ones in particular - I'm usually too busy beeping them to take note.
Autopilot is only on the top models of the latest style Nissan Leafs like this one:

Nissan Leaf.jpg

It is fitted on some of the Nissan Qashqai models which are crossovers somewhat SUV styled.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Autopilot is only on the top models of the latest style Nissan Leafs like this one:

View attachment 44533

It is fitted on some of the Nissan Qashqai models which are crossovers somewhat SUV styled.

It's not those Nissans Leafs (leaves?)... it's just Nissan Leaf taxi drivers sleeping at the wheel then, as usual - driving is the only nap time they get.

SUVs passing by too close, might be the Nissan CashCows .

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not those Nissans Leafs (leaves?)... it's just Nissan Leaf taxi drivers sleeping at the wheel then, as usual - driving is the only nap time they get.
I didn't think it would be, it's mostly the older Leafs which are far cheaper to buy second hand that become taxis. There's a huge difference between £30k and £8k!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But these systems are a very long way short of what they need to be
I can agree with that. 8 cameras, each camera's resolution is 1.2 megapixels, 32-bit CPU + 2 x GPUs.
When you see how little time the system has to recognise all objects in all 8 cameras, it seems that better hardware is needed.

Quote:
System Plus estimates that Tesla’s HW2.5, consisting of three Nvdia’s chips and Infineon MCU, costs $280. In contrast, Tesla’s HW3.0 based on Tesla’s two SoCs costs $190.

https://www.eetasia.com/teslas-hardware-retrofits-for-model-3/

• Informative

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The video did show a flaw that was potentially fatal to both the car on autokiller and the bus full of children coming up the main road, the car driver had to intevene as the autokiller was about to go across a junction without stopping (13:25).

Given that you can assume that people using autopilot will be 'distracted' at times, its somewhjat astonishing that an autokiller with such serious flaws is allowed on the road at all.........

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The video did show a flaw that was potentially fatal to both the car on autokiller and the bus full of children coming up the main road, the car driver had to intevene as the autokiller was about to go across a junction without stopping (13:25).

Given that you can assume that people using autopilot will be 'distracted' at times, its somewhjat astonishing that an autokiller with such serious flaws is allowed on the road at all.........
The problem is that the governments and even safety organisations have been attracted by the notion that technology without the failings of humans will be intrinsically safer. No more drunk driving, speeding, road rage etc. That theory is very far from being realised though at present. There's also a suspicion that governments like the possibility that they might be able to assume control of driverless cars, taking away our independence.

All leading to them being keen on the technology progressing unimpeded.

• Agree